Office bonsai people

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here’s an appeal to all those determined to keep a tree indoors or in low light conditions.

What are your experiences, which species work and which don’t?

im building an enclosure for a tarantula and it’s a bit sensitive to light.

I know that pothos is a good candidate for ultra low light conditions but it’s a plant and I figure a plant grows faster than an actual tree and since I keep it with something that doesn’t like to be disturbed, I don’t wanna trim it constantly

And don’t tell me moss, it’s already on the list.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In super low light conditions most trees don't grow a lot, if any at all. Hedera might be something in the middle.
I have owned a couple of praying mantis(ses?) and after struggling with dying plants in 10W light conditions for a few months I just went with plastic plants. Better for the crickets too.
Some combinations of hobbies just don't work well. Like snakes and trees; it looks fun until the little rascal gained enough weight to break branches.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 267362
cute little feet and all

P.S. @Bonsai Nut why are my pics uploading upside down? It happened a few days ago too when my photo uploaded sideways, is there a rotate button somewhere? What am I doing wrong?
Dont you know? Your in China, you all are walking upside down right now.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 267362
cute little feet and all

P.S. @Bonsai Nut why are my pics uploading upside down? It happened a few days ago too when my photo uploaded sideways, is there a rotate button somewhere? What am I doing wrong?
You're on the wrong side of the planet and they are reconbobulated to be viewed on our side. Or something like that.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go collect small things deep in a forest. Leave a trail of bread crumbs...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 267362
cute little feet and all

Can you post a screenshot, sideways if need be, of your photo gallery?

This was happening before, I forget the fix, it's here somewhere, but I don't know if it's the same problem cause, just the same result.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A few trees will last in an indefinite state of suspended animation if grown in deep shade. For example, eastern hemlock, Tsuga canadensis, in deep shade will hardly grow at all. A 3 foot tall seedling, may actually be 25 years old. But put that same seedling in 50% to full sun and it will grow 12 inches or more a year.

Hedera
Podocarpus
Ficus

Those are the 3 trees that come to mind as being able to sit in a torpor for a long time when in deep shade. Put them in the terrarium at pretty much full size for visual effect, they won't grow much at all, replace every year or two as they slowly die off.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
In Taiwan, most offices have at least one Pachira aquatica , Money Tree.
Very undemanding but the big leaves make it hard in a small enclosure.
Ficus might work but will get very leggy in low light.
Ming trees, Polyscias fruticosa, may work.

Last edited:

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Something else that hasn't been brought up yet. How ever you choose to go with it, make sure to check that it won't be toxic to the spider. Like a Hawaiian Umbrella Tree would be a no-go.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You said you know about mosses, but "technically" they arent mosses- I'd consider something from the family Selaginellaceae- there are blue cultivars, tree-like species, etc. that would probably do well if its a humid environment. The tree-like species is absolutely a perfect candidate but I cant remember the name and google doesnt come up. I'll have to see if i can find it. They look very prehistoric and you can usually get them on the FB terrarium plant auction pages.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any of the Selaginella are nice, some are like miniature seedlings fir trees in shape, others are very fern like, others are more moss like. They are good for adding texture. They need bright shade to grow well, but like the others, in deep shade they will sit fairly static for a long time.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here’s a sideways pic of what I decided on, instead of trying to make a tree grow in an almost dark box I’ll instead use this piece of cork bark to cover the back of the enclosure to provide some climbing space. Here’s a sideways pic for your enjoyment
FDA19246-A2F0-4EB2-9191-8DE2D50EF468.jpeg
It’s got some moss on it that I can try to rehydrate,
B23771E8-83A1-4D39-9158-14661C43D546.jpeg
mand then I’ll just add a piece of pothos for extra greenery.

question on moss though, this in the pic is the longer stringy type (showing off how little I know about moss) is it the same as what we normally see, like this, or are they 2 different types?
069452AD-CF84-4D5F-8AED-A6EE2C973848.jpeg
Holy crap this one uploaded the right way

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
question on moss though, this in the pic is the longer stringy type (showing off how little I know about moss) is it the same as what we normally see, like this, or are they 2 different types?
There are thousands of different moss species. From large sphagnum mosses down to tiny compact ones. Some like to grow on tree trunks, some like dry hard surfaces and others love damp soil. Colours from brilliant green through to silvery.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And a sage from in the clouds said -
LEDS

I'm a little surprised I don't see this discussed more often? There seems to be quite a few saltwater reefers on here - why not re-purpose some old lights? It's not like we ever throw old equipment away :rolleyes:

cute little feet and all

Cute toes! Species?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois, you think an Eastern Hemlock would survive in an office environment with little sunlight or does it need a humid environment?

I used eastern hemlock as an example of a tree that can remain in a state of slow or no growth for decades. The reason is that this is actually documented in a scientific journal, real data, not some "internet fiction".

But eastern hemlock is a north temperate tree, adapted to cool summer - cold winter climates. It is very unlikely that it would survive indoors because it will just be too warm and too dry. I only used it as an example of slow growth in shade. Not as a suggestion for indoors

On the other hand, since the OP solved his problem as far as a dark enclosure goes, by using cork bark. Once you have bright shade indoors, large windows, or indoor lighting, Once you go over 1000 foot candles or equivalent lumens, you can raise a surprising number of subtropical plants, some are trees.

Top Bottom