Office Bonsai - Safest/Healthiest way to go?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could spend a fortune doing all that and still come up with a mediocre or worse bonsai. Unless you plunk down the considerable cash for high-end lighting systems (no a single lamp probably isn't enough) you're not going to come anywhere near the high-intensity sunlight that "indoor" tropical species have in their native ranges. Consider what you're going to be paying to make a "perfect" environment for a $15-$40 tree...

There are plenty of people that can make pretty decent bonsai indoors, but they tend to be experienced bonsai people who understand the intricacies of what their trees require. Indoor bonsai is a very technical undertaking if you want decent trees.

As you might be able to tell, I am not an indoor bonsai person. I was when I began, but it took me about ten years to realize "outdoor" trees are easier, less finicky and more satisfying (and less expensive) than "indoor" bonsai.

It's worth noting that there are no "indoor" plants. Only plants that can tolerate being kept inside houses for any length of time. Bonsai in its countries of origins have never been kept inside...

RockM is spot on. In Wisconsin I grew tropicals indoors in the winter and got good results. But, I spent about $700 on the grow tent and lights, and that was only because I got a good deal on used lights.

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a Dwarf Schefflera that has done well living indoors. if you could drop in some full spectrum bulbs in to your overhead lights i bet it would like crazy. I only water mine once a week so leaving it unattended on the weekends wouldn't be a big issue.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you can try aquarium lighting, there’s one type with a reddish hue that promotes plant growth. I’m assuming you work in a cube farm, so you’ll be able to fix it to the partition against your desk

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One can not go wrong with Heavenly bamboo!
Thụ Thoại

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The McCree curve
7CCE867C-D367-4278-AA87-C770AEB10BDA.jpeg
PAR...this is good I think compared to other explanations.

It seems a fair standard regarding light ...What is the McCree for trees (mean PAR)?

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've got a Ficus retusa for a while now. I'm testing out an desert rose and a tiny bald cypress forest. I know the last two may be tough to do. I may need better grow light and increasing the number of hours of light. By the way I will not have grow lights on during the time I'm in my office. My grow light is a cheap Red & Blue LED grow light bought from Amazon. It has served me well with my ficus.
How long have you had the bald cypress and been growin indoors? I'm curious

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
How long have you had the bald cypress and been growin indoors? I'm curious
I've grown heavenly bamboo for decades, the ficus for quite a while too. I've just started experimenting with the bald cypress and desert rose because I got the new LED lights. I'll know in a few months how it goes. If all goes well, they stay. If not, I'll move them outside in the spring.

This winter I'll collect some bald cypress seeds and germinate them. Now I know they will germinate and grow well under LED light as seedlings. Whether they can grow well enough as bonsai only time will tell. I suspect I'll have to buy more powerful lights if I am to keep them indoor. BC and desert rose both require lots of light.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've grown heavenly bamboo for decades, the ficus for quite a while too. I've just started experimenting with the bald cypress and desert rose because I got the new LED lights. I'll know in a few months how it goes. If all goes well, they stay. If not, I'll move them outside in the spring.

This winter I'll collect some bald cypress seeds and germinate them. Now I know they will germinate and grow well under LED light as seedlings. Whether they can grow well enough as bonsai only time will tell. I suspect I'll have to buy more powerful lights if I am to keep them indoor. BC and desert rose both require lots of light.
I'm asking cuz i stated a bunch from seed and one came up dwarf. I'm considering moving him inside all winter for some time to catch up. I germinated all my seeds indoors and started a few seedlings inside for around a month I just dont know bout 3 or more and by dwarf I mean less than 6 inches while my others are almost 3 feet.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bald cypress is extremely iffy indoors. The species requires a dormancy period. Indoors you will likely get good growth for a while, then a steep rapid decline...

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bald cypress is extremely iffy indoors. The species requires a dormancy period. Indoors you will likely get good growth for a while, then a steep rapid decline...
Luckily I live in an area where BC is native. My little BC forest is for fun in my office. When they grow bigger, they will be potted properly and brought outside. The same goes for my desert rose. In effect, my office is more like an incubator for little things to amuse me in my long hours at work. With the exception of a ficus, the rest are simply cycling through.

Funny thing is that the ficus I'm training for the office is actually outside now growing because I need some fast development of root over rock feature.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Luckily I live in an area where BC is native. My little BC forest is for fun in my office. When they grow bigger, they will be potted properly and brought outside. The same goes for my desert rose. In effect, my office is more like an incubator for little things to amuse me in my long hours at work.
They're native here too, I'm probably gonna gamble with the one that came up dwarf and leave him outdoors with the rest. All mine are about 7 months old and huge compared to the 1 year seedlings people sell online in height and thickness. I have a thread for my bc progression.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@martinszos
Indoor environment is difficult. I have had over 1000 of growing under lights for most of the last 35 years. Also have a number of bonsai under lights. Most of the orchids do fine year round under lights. None of my trees, including ficus "do fine" under lights. All appreciate a summer outdoors, and grow better while outside.

I recommend you build a collection at home of some 50 bonsai. Grow them outside. Do grow some sub tropicals and tropicals, bring them inside for the winter. Then for your office, each week bring a tree, switch it out the following week. This way no one tree will be subjected to the dark, low humidity, too warm at night environment of the office.

You mentioned that they turn off the environmental system, heating and cooling, at night. This means in summer the building will be warmer at night than when the lights are on. This is a lethal situation over a long period of time. Tree metabolism burns sugars made during day at night, if it is warmer during the dark period it is possible to burn more sugars than what were made during day cycle.

If you must grow only in the office, Ficus and shefflaria are the only trees I would recommend. Jade plant needs sun to grow properly.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Cajunrider
Bald cypress needs full sun to grow normally. They need 15 or more degrees F cooler at night than day to build carbohydrate reserves for growth. They will eventually fail indoors. Period.

I found that "dwarf" seedling you posted interesting. If you want it to live and grow, so you can see if you found a true genetic dwarf, keep it outside in the same conditions as a normal bald cypress. Keep it too warm in winter and it will die.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Cajunrider
Bald cypress needs full sun to grow normally. They need 15 or more degrees F cooler at night than day to build carbohydrate reserves for growth. They will eventually fail indoors. Period.

I found that "dwarf" seedling you posted interesting. If you want it to live and grow, so you can see if you found a true genetic dwarf, keep it outside in the same conditions as a normal bald cypress. Keep it too warm in winter and it will die.
I'm going to do what you recommend and cycle the bonsai in my office. :)

martinszos

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Cajunrider

This is actually a fantastic idea, and I'm slightly embarrassed for not thinking of it. This will absolutely be the route I go down (and might make the uphill battle of more trees easier with the S/O :eek:)

Thank you Leo! Have a great weekend :)

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't really have any indoor bonsai but I have a variety of Ficus that I hope to grow out to be future bonsai. Anyway, a simple growing case like this is wonderful for humidity-loving plants. This is the case last spring; many of the plants go outdoors for the summer. 3 species of Ficus, a variety of orchids, a few dozen Christmas cactus seedlings, and some crabapple cuttings I was rooting all in there and growing well.
2018-4-21.JPG
Anyway, a case like this is a great way to keep tropicals in an office and somehow looks nicer than having them just sitting out. This one was homemade, but exo-terra terrariums are somewhat similar (tall terrariums with am opening front). The fixture holds 4 ordinary compact fluorescents and there's a little computer fan powered by an old cell phone charger to provide air circulation.

Top Bottom