Official Cobra Kai discussion thread

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
If you haven't started watching Cobra Kai which picks back up with the main characters from The Karate Kid you definitely should (netflix).

There is a lot of bonsai in the show so lets dig in;

Miyagi and the actor that played him have died, in one scene Daniel visits his teacher's grave *with pruning shears, he takes a few arbitrary cuts on a juniper, maybe hinoki cypress that has been presumably de-potted to terra firma, A moment I think most viewers including bnuts would find touching.
0400c5554bfa56a8ad10487c79f2e15c01ef7ad4.jpg

Later in the series the Daniel's karate student is introduced to his sensei's bonsai trees which he keeps in "the basement" of his car

dealership in Los Angeles, in some fenced off area. When i saw this I gave an audible chuckle, but I could see what they were going for.
maxresdefault.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Too many different streaming services. I already sub to 2 others so Ill pass on this one

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just watched the first episode this morning. I was surprised to see that it was free. I’m not sure how many episodes are free though.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just watched the first episode this morning. I was surprised to see that it was free. I’m not sure how many episodes are free though.
Not “free” per say. But if you have Netflix, both seasons are available. The show is so ridiculous it’s wonderful. I mean like completely ridiculous. I enjoyed every minute of it.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not “free” per say. But if you have Netflix, both seasons are available. The show is so ridiculous it’s wonderful. I mean like completely ridiculous. I enjoyed every minute of it.
Oh I didn’t realize they’re on Netflix, that’s cool. I watched the first two episodes on YouTube. I just finished the second. They’re the only free episodes.

YamadoriFL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Just watched episode 1 today. Good show.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I liked the show. I forgot that there were a couple of scenes with bonsai.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I don't watch too many TV series but gave this one a shot and really enjoyed it. Timing was perfect for the Netflix release because we had just finished re-watching the 3 movies!

There are some decent looking bonsai especially Season 2 - there is a koi pond in the backyard of Mr. Miyagi's old house where Daniel-'son' keeps some neat Chumono size trees on a floating platform. Much nicer than the mall-type junipers he gives away at his car dealership.
20200907_175537.jpg

It would be fun to have a bonsai teacher who used Johnny Lawrence's karate training style - especially the "QUIET!!!"

tenor.gif

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm only 3 episodes in, and I love the role reversals. "Daniel-san" has grown up to be a shallow, & self absorbed. And Johnny Lawrence's character has become a humbled, & a bit of a looser, but more "likeable" than the "Danielsan" character.

Fun, though I don't know how long I'll keep watching it. Neither character has got me to the point of really caring what happens to them. But each episode so far has pulled me in a little more, so we will see if I stick with it for 2 seasons.

I'm just finishing up watching "Twin Peaks" on Netflix. I'm old enough that I remember watching it the first time it aired. It is just as weird now, as it was then. A David Lynch classic, and like other David Lynch films, I tend to watch them out of curiosity, wondering where the weirdness will take us, rather than for love of character development.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I notice there is a lot of bonsai abuse in this show. Great follow up to the original movies though, if you enjoyed them. Really scratched that nostalgia itch for me.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Ha..I was wondering if this would make the the threads. Original is what captured me on Bonsai years ago hence my screen name..wow. Cobra Kai did not disappoint. Yes.. floating Chumono! End of season 2 has me wanting more! Thanks for posting!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I very much enjoyed both seasons.
I loved seeing the old characters.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like to mention my juniper’s “street creds” to the uninitiated to bonsai, by telling the it was styled by Roy Nagatoshi, the “artistic director” behind the bonsai in Karate Kid III. I’m not sure if I have his title correct there, but I can say it is a pleasure working with/ learning from Roy Nagatoshi in workshops.
(terrible photo; and is overdue for another styling by him)

Attachments

• 1B25ACFB-C59A-4143-BCF6-25ECE7637FE6.jpeg
    1B25ACFB-C59A-4143-BCF6-25ECE7637FE6.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 30

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I don't watch too many TV series but gave this one a shot and really enjoyed it. Timing was perfect for the Netflix release because we had just finished re-watching the 3 movies!

There are some decent looking bonsai especially Season 2 - there is a koi pond in the backyard of Mr. Miyagi's old house where Daniel-'son' keeps some neat Chumono size trees on a floating platform. Much nicer than the mall-type junipers he gives away at his car dealership.
View attachment 327746
didnt notice the floating stand, nice catch!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I didn't know about this show, and am going to definitely check it out!

I am also going to move this thread to the Tea House :) Wax on, wax off!

Top Bottom