Official Cobra Kai discussion thread

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm only 3 episodes in, and I love the role reversals. "Daniel-san" has grown up to be a shallow, & self absorbed. And Johnny Lawrence's character has become a humbled, & a bit of a looser, but more "likeable" than the "Danielsan" character.

Fun, though I don't know how long I'll keep watching it. Neither character has got me to the point of really caring what happens to them. But each episode so far has pulled me in a little more, so we will see if I stick with it for 2 seasons.

I'm just finishing up watching "Twin Peaks" on Netflix. I'm old enough that I remember watching it the first time it aired. It is just as weird now, as it was then. A David Lynch classic, and like other David Lynch films, I tend to watch them out of curiosity, wondering where the weirdness will take us, rather than for love of character development.
I’ve also struggled a bit to get into it but starting to come back to it more and more. Totally agree with the role reversals thus far. Really not liking who Daniel has turned into but have enjoyed seeing a bit of the before and after of Johnny’s movie storyline. Totally loved the scene with Miguel in the cafeteria with obnoxious Kyler and pals.

Twin Peaks, I think I remember watching that courtesy of a friends dvd collection. Was that the show that had David Duchovny dressed as a woman in later episodes?

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Danny monetized his bonsai teachings

Here's Danny's Car commercial

And his competitor's

Resolution- one of my favorite lines, "you imply I'm a water-waster?" California is interesting isn't it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve also struggled a bit to get into it but starting to come back to it more and more. Totally agree with the role reversals thus far. Really not liking who Daniel has turned into but have enjoyed seeing a bit of the before and after of Johnny’s movie storyline. Totally loved the scene with Miguel in the cafeteria with obnoxious Kyler and pals.

Twin Peaks, I think I remember watching that courtesy of a friends dvd collection. Was that the show that had David Duchovny dressed as a woman in later episodes?

Twin Peaks, the 2 or so episodes with Duchovny in drag was not the weirdest thing about the series. It is just strange from beginning to end.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Twin Peaks, the 2 or so episodes with Duchovny in drag was not the weirdest thing about the series. It is just strange from beginning to end.
Oh, and Duchovny wasn't the only one in drag, Piper Laurie, she appeared dressed as a man for a few scenes. Piper Laurie's drag scenes were "the villain in disguise" scenes. Duchovny's scenes were more serious about gender dysphoria. Or something? He was not convincing as a drag queen, nor as a transexual.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Well yah the whole series was strange but entertaining. But mr X-files dressed as a lady just stuck in my mind.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Finished the series, stage all set for season 3. I give it a solid B+, most of the actors of the original movies have not had a lot of work since the original movies. I can see why. But it was fun, and reasonably well made.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok Daniel’s really starting to irritate me now. Not that Johnny is much better but everytime he is trying to change Daniel and his goons get petty and mess it all up again.

Boscology

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Finished the series, stage all set for season 3. I give it a solid B+, most of the actors of the original movies have not had a lot of work since the original movies. I can see why. But it was fun, and reasonably well made.

I think B+ is pretty fair, You have to take it for what it is; a non-pretentious series where the characters draw you in. It gets compared to stranger things and I think I preferred Cobra Kai more.

Goofy, campy, low-budget it may be but the fact that its not characters battling CGI monsters is kind of refreshing

phelath

Seed
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted a video on YouTube about people's feelings regarding Johnny and Daniel. Check it out and let me know your thoughts.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Team Johnny for sure. For me he has always been the true underdog even in the movies now that his background is more well known. Sure he’s made some mistakes and lashed out a lot when he was younger but I think that makes him a lot more realistic. He has some issues and is stuck in the past making him a product of his environment.
He does TRY to improve, and does try to start his own business…which Daniel tries to shut down at any opportunity.

Daniel is a bit of an arrogant nitwit in the series. Yes he is successful but he hasn’t “grown up“ as much as you’d expect from someone who was the “hero“ of the movies and lives a vastly “improved lifestyle”. Come on the guy is rich, he never sought out Johnny to tell him the situation with Johnny’s son. Instead he tries to be a replacement father when instead he should if anything be helping the two of them reconcile.

Last edited:

phelath

Seed
Reaction score
I agree 100% I was surprised by the hate for Johnny I saw

Top Bottom