oh Henri, storm prep

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i have already taken steps to prep for the storm. surfboard is waxed and ready for Sunday morning
need to start generator tonite (honda) make sure all is well

i moved my large plants and put stones on smaller plants. might have to put all in garage if the thing does hit us

1629395757563.png

yewwww, i live in the orange band btw in above shot

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
50 mph winds predicted here. I can leave most stuff on the benches, just move a couple of the taller ones that can get knocked over.

I'm likely to be on the west side of the storm so the wind will be from the north or northeast so it's not so bad as south

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
50 mph winds predicted here. I can leave most stuff on the benches, just move a couple of the taller ones that can get knocked over.

I'm likely to be on the west side of the storm so the wind will be from the north or northeast so it's not so bad as south
thats good to hear...we have to keep an eye on direct hit here. my coworker Austin lives on the point of the elbow
on Cape Cod. gnarly

you guys got hit hard by Sandy? New Jersey, about 5 years ago?

been to rockaways? long beach? on long island?

not many people know but it is world class surf spot, skyscrapers in background

my dads pulling his boat for this, its always a catch 22 for me, i surf this stuff (before and after, not during prime wind)
and love foul weather

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thats good to hear...we have to keep an eye on direct hit here. my coworker Austin lives on the point of the elbow
on Cape Cod. gnarly

you guys got hit hard by Sandy? New Jersey, about 5 years ago?

been to rockaways? long beach? on long island?

not many people know but it is world class surf spot, skyscrapers in background

my dads pulling his boat for this, its always a catch 22 for me, i surf this stuff (before and after, not during prime wind)
and love foul weather

Yea you guys are more in line for a direct hit.
We have to keep an eye on it here because things could still change.

I live on Long Island, Westhampton the south shore.

Sandy wasn't too bad by me. Lots of wind and coastal flooding. Some docks got damaged on the bay. The real damage was west of me.

We have boats we have to look out for too but if the current prediction holds true, they should be fine where they are. The marina we are in is on Shinnecock canal. The locks can act as a relief valve for flooding if it's not too close. One of our boats is too big to trailer so it gets hauled and stored at the marina. If we get a direct hit, better make sure the boat insurance is paid up cause even if you haul it, there is no guarantee.

Last edited:

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yea you guys are more in line for a direct hit.
We have to keep an eye on it here because things could still change.

I live on Long Island, Westhampton the south shore.

Sandy wasn't too bad by me. Lots of wind and coastal flooding. Some docks got damaged on the bay. The real damage was west of me.

nice area - bet some celebs live near ya, not that i look up to them at all. cuomo moving out of town ;) the brother

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
nice area - bet some celebs live near ya, not that i look up to them at all. cuomo moving out of town ;) the brother

Lol I live in the working class area of town. Not many celebs very near me which is just fine by us.

Good luck to you guys up there. Batten down the hatches

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good luck. I checked the forecast and up here we're not yet slated for more than 20mph winds, but that could obviously change.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Good luck. I checked the forecast and up here we're not yet slated for more than 20mph winds, but that could obviously change.
thanks. heard you got some heavy storms moved through today
just a bit of rain here and today. tornado warning in boston earlier i heard

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That was the leftovers from Fred, nice to get some soaking rain. My coworker in Cambridge got a tornado alert but nothing actually touched down?

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@hinmo24t & @Paradox -- for what it's worth -- when I was still on eastern L.I., about (gulp) 40 years ago, there was a real big one -- and the only (full-sized) trees that didn't drop their leaves for miles around belonged to a farmer who went out after the winds had passed & hosed off the 30' trees around his house -- everybody thought he was nuts, but later realized the salt spray had reached miles inland.
Best Wishes for Hurricane Parties & NO trouble!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@hinmo24t & @Paradox -- for what it's worth -- when I was still on eastern L.I., about (gulp) 40 years ago, there was a real big one -- and the only (full-sized) trees that didn't drop their leaves for miles around belonged to a farmer who went out after the winds had passed & hosed off the 30' trees around his house -- everybody thought he was nuts, but later realized the salt spray had reached miles inland.
Best Wishes for Hurricane Parties & NO trouble!

Yes that happened with a storm a few years ago too. Trees started dropping their leaves and some pines started turning brown from the salty spray/rain

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
fn busy over here this morning. havent been able to eat my raisen date and walnut oats.
brutal. supply chains are broken. entire construction projects held up over missing items.
sh*it is wild wild out here. mentioning this because i havent seen updated NOAA map
but heard from dad it turned into direct hit to CT/RI?? hold onto your butts

got to go for now. taxpayer life.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I opened my mouth and now it's tracking way closer to us. Guess the weekend plan is to huddle all the plants together now.

Top Bottom