Oh my orchid!

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I sure have been active in the tea house lately...

But! I have recently come into the ownership of quite a beautiful orchid! I've been reading up on it the past few days and have learned quite a bit. I've already ordered a better plastic pot for it to go in. As the one that's holding all the roots currently has no drainage holes what so ever!

My first question is for any of you orchid owners, my orchid seems to have been over watered, and it's leafs have some brown fleshy spots, and a few are pretty wilted and floppy.
image.jpeg

I have yet to water it any further as it still feels moist, but it's currently just beginning its bloom, and even is throwing off a second shoot!
image.jpeg

I plan to at least poke some holes into the pathetic plastic "pot" it being trapped in to hope for a little more air flow...

I would love to enjoy it's blooms first, but is it wise for me to let it expend all that energy when it's roots/leaves seem to be suffering?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It depends what's important to you. To paraphrase the head of the largest orchid producer in holland (and the world by revenue) - 'when it's done blooming, throw it away, and we'll grow you another one. '

Phalaenopsis have become so cheap and readily available that there's nothing wrong with treating it like a bouquet of cut flowers that lasts a little longer. It isn't a puppy for pete's sake!

That said, if you do want to try to keep it alive, a repotting is probably in order. They're often potted in sphagnum moss to hold a lot of moisture during shipping and retail, but bark would be better now that you can monitor and water it regularly. Like with bonsai, you want a free draining media that won't hold too much moisture and rot the roots. Cutting the flower spike off at the same time wouldn't be a bad idea if it's survival is paramount.

Top Bottom