Oh no, I fell for the thunderhead trap!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I thought today would be a good day to finally get a pine to learn on. I should have done more research before buying this thunderhead black pine. A lot of the research i am finding says that Thunderhead is difficult to bonsai.

It has an awesome trunk measuring 5.5 inches at the base and decent taper and i hope that i can create something out of this beast. My hope is that the larger size will help pull off the “thunderhead”ness

I might have reduced it too much but I set a rough structure on it this afternoon and plan on protected it this winter because of the reduction of foliage.

Any pointers are welcome. A7838D9A-A8D4-42BD-B277-432E3199C457.jpegBD331EFC-470B-480F-9A4E-220954B79DE1.jpegE1E81855-2DE5-4B63-88F2-CBD4518279EF.jpegA6506758-CA50-4E57-A98A-846AB9471BE4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
isnt new 'joysey' pretty darn cold this time of year, that dude is soldiering it out in an orange tshirt:D

Haha. Yeah. It’s gettin friggin cold in the dirty jerz. He came out to help me and reassured me “ cold don’t botha me. I work outside year round” 😂

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Haha. Yeah. It’s gettin friggin cold in the dirty jerz. He came out to help me and reassured me “ cold don’t botha me. I work outside year round” 😂
what a legend!
actually this place reminds me of some of the places i visit, bet youll find the odd gem in here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One more whorl!

Go down one more whorl!

I like the lean.

Sorce

Punky

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's a nice base. I think if you keep the tree chunky and big, you can have a good bonsai. Probably need to train that first thick branch on the right as the upper portion of the trunk.

The first thing I saw was the awesome line that branch would make as the main trunk.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@GroveBonsai , how is this tree doing? I'm curious because I think I just feel for the same thing. The 50% off sale at HD gets me everytime.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I had to give this one up when I moved to Miami. I gave it to the Bonsai Shack in Pomona NY

Top Bottom