OK..........help....

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I'm the one guy who comes only with bad news; I'm sorry about that. My last Juniper died that I had owned for 3 years, and somebody gave me another tree. I didn't want it cause I felt I would kill it, but I tried, nevertheless. So this tree is a ficus, and I'm unsure of what kind. But now it has problems. :'(
Can somebody look at these pictures and tell me what you think. Sorry about the horrible quality. As a forward, I just repotted it into a larger one, so I believe I did something incorrectly.

Attachments

• DSC01507.jpg
    DSC01507.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC01508.jpg
    DSC01508.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01509.jpg
    DSC01509.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 66

Fallen_Reality

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What type of soil is it in? You could be over or under watering. Also, too much fertilizer could cause this type of damage.

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
What type of soil is it in? You could be over or under watering. Also, too much fertilizer could cause this type of damage.

Um....I threw away the soil. It was the default stuff that came with the pots I bought for the Juniper. Can a ficus tree bounce back from this? Or is it going to die from your assessment?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What type of soil is it in - Now? Ficus can bounce back, even if they loose all their leaves, so be patient and water properly, as in, when it needs it. Is it inside?

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
What type of soil is it in - Now? Ficus can bounce back, even if they loose all their leaves, so be patient and water properly, as in, when it needs it. Is it inside?

Um, I am unsure ... as I said, it was a kinda "no-name" brand soil that came along with the Juniper. Probably was an ignorant choice, but I didn't know what else to use, and the only pot was so small that it couldn't retain water. And yes, it is inside. Any other advice?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um....I threw away the soil. It was the default stuff that came with the pots I bought for the Juniper. Can a ficus tree bounce back from this? Or is it going to die from your assessment?

"It", as used above refers to the word directly before it. That word is soil.

Your tree will live. If you care for it properly. I have one that has grown and dropped black leaves since november. It is fine otherwise.

Less that soil was bad?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
From what I can make out from your pictures, your tree is staying wet for far too long and it's not getting enough sun. The dark areas on the leaf could be caused by some sort of bug damage, the yellowing is certainly due to overwatering.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hey, guys. I'm the one guy who comes only with bad news; I'm sorry about that. My last Juniper died that I had owned for 3 years, and somebody gave me another tree. I didn't want it cause I felt I would kill it, but I tried, nevertheless. So this tree is a ficus, and I'm unsure of what kind. But now it has problems. :'(
Can somebody look at these pictures and tell me what you think. Sorry about the horrible quality. As a forward, I just repotted it into a larger one, so I believe I did something incorrectly.

This looks like Ficus Elastica aka Rubber Tree. If you are serious about doing bonsai make the decision to do so. Get a tree like a Ficus Retusa or Benjamina if you absolutely insist on growing bonsai indoors. If you plan on doing bonsai outdoors which is where they belong IMHO get a juniper then ask for advise before you shoot the patient. Join a club, buy some books and study the subject. Understand that the path to learning bonsai is littered with the failures of your first works. Incidentally; Ficus Elastica make lousy bonsai. The leaves are too big they do not reduce the branches do not ramify and the trunk will not improve much over what you already have.

One of the unspoken rules of bonsai states: It is better to ask for advise before you let your imagination and fantasies run wild than to ask what we think of what you did and our suggestions as to how to correct your mistakes after you have thrown it into the fire.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like Ficus Elastica aka Rubber Tree. If you are serious about doing bonsai make the decision to do so. Get a tree like a Ficus Retusa or Benjamina if you absolutely insist on growing bonsai indoors. If you plan on doing bonsai outdoors which is where they belong IMHO get a juniper then ask for advise before you shoot the patient. Join a club, buy some books and study the subject. Understand that the path to learning bonsai is littered with the failures of your first works. Incidentally; Ficus Elastica make lousy bonsai. The leaves are too big they do not reduce the branches do not ramify and the trunk will not improve much over what you already have.

Shoot the patient! Haaa! Done that.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I can make out from your pictures, your tree is staying wet for far too long and it's not getting enough sun. The dark areas on the leaf could be caused by some sort of bug damage, the yellowing is certainly due to overwatering.

If I owned a Ficus I would listen to every word Ryan has to say. I believe from his threads he has a couple.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

One of the unspoken rules of bonsai states: It is better to ask for advise before you let your imagination and fantasies run wild than to ask what we think of what you did and our suggestions as to how to correct your mistakes after you have thrown it into the fire.

This actually is a microcarpa ;)

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Inquiring minds want to know...with so much knowledge about and experience with ficus why did he choose REDWOOD Ryan?

Perhaps Tropical or Ficus Ryan is more appropriate?!?! :p

(Sorry to hijack the thread...I couldn't resist).

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Inquiring minds want to know...with so much knowledge about and experience with ficus why did he choose REDWOOD Ryan?

Perhaps Tropical or Ficus Ryan is more appropriate?!?! :p

(Sorry to hijack the thread...I couldn't resist).

Wondered the same thing myself until I saw pictures.

Top Bottom