OK, here's a great site.........

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Bonsai nuts are always looking for just one more good site to visit to further our knowledge, this is a very good one. There is an article on using wood hardner that is very good.

http://bonsaibasho.com/

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is an article on using wood hardner that is very good.

Thanks Bwaynef!

And thanks a lot Harry for the tip on the wood hardener article! I just ordered 2 pounds of Paraloid B72 in crystal form, from Museum Services Corporation, in Minnessota. This a product used by museums, to stabilize decayed wood, bones, fossils, ect. They also use it on old murals, as a fixative.

Here it is:

http://stores.homestead.com/conservemp/StoreFront.bok

I just had a phone conversation about how to prepare it, for various purposes. To preserve wood, by impregnating it, you can use a lower concentration (30% - 25% B72 dissolved in 70% - 75% Acetone, % by weight). Or you can use it as a coating, in certain cases (50%). Or, as a glue (75%). The best part is, that the surface remains matte (no sheen), so it looks more natural than when using epoxy.
Finally, I may have found the wood hardener that I was looking for, all these years. I owe you big time, Harry.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Bwaynef!

And thanks a lot Harry for the tip on the wood hardener article! I just ordered 2 pounds of Paraloid B72 in crystal form, from Museum Services Corporation, in Minnessota. This a product used by museums, to stabilize decayed wood, bones, fossils, ect. They also use it on old murals, as a fixative.

Here it is:

http://stores.homestead.com/conservemp/StoreFront.bok

I just had a phone conversation about how to prepare it, for various purposes. To preserve wood, by impregnating it, you can use a lower concentration (30% - 25% B72 dissolved in 70% - 75% Acetone, % by weight). Or you can use it as a coating, in certain cases (50%). Or, as a glue (75%). The best part is, that the surface remains matte (no sheen), so it looks more natural than when using epoxy.
Finally, I may have found the wood hardener that I was looking for, all these years. I owe you big time, Harry.

They will ship this to your county in Calif.?

I can't use it in Fresno Co. EPA has banned it since 2000. I can't even use solvent based contact cement. I have to use water soluable products.

Interesting.....

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They will ship this to your county in Calif.?

I can't use it in Fresno Co. EPA has banned it since 2000. I can't even use solvent based contact cement. I have to use water soluable products.

Interesting.....

Cross my fingers. They confirmed my order, with no objections.

But who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if I received a notice tomorrow, saying that sorry, they've made a mistake and my order is revoked. I hope not.

PS.: Al, If I manage to get my shipment, I can bring you half a pound at the GSBF convention. Let me know.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cross my fingers. They confirmed my order, with no objections.

But who knows, I wouldn't be surprised if I received a notice tomorrow, saying that sorry, they've made a mistake and my order is revoked. I hope not.

PS.: Al, If I manage to get my shipment, I can bring you half a pound at the GSBF convention. Let me know.

I actually needed it for professional reasons. I have a client who's building was burned and I did the refurb. There are two very rare murals in the building of downtown Fresno circa 1916. They need to be touched up as they are starting to come off the backing in places. A professional was to do the job but is having problems getting the stuff into my county legaly. I can get it in Madera county across the river, but if caught by OSHA and then the EPA, I might have some problems explaining a 50,000 dollar fine to my boss:eek:

Attachments

• DSC_00070003.jpg
    DSC_00070003.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_00090005.jpg
    DSC_00090005.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 47

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thats progress for you Al, probably not that terribly unsafe when used properly, maybe another one of those protect everyone for the sake of a few dum dums.

Your project is the type of thing that should be allowed, but then someone would have to make a decision.

Top Bottom