Okay, I have a Zuisho...now what do I do?

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all!

I just received a 'Zuisho' White Pine Friday from Mr. Julian Adams. It is absolutely beautiful. However, there are some things that need to be done. Right now it has a major branch/trunk fork that is too high, and I don't want a double trunk. I think that I'll remove the left fork (see pic). Also, the nebari needs some work, evidenced by the second picture. I think that I'm going to make a few small cuts and dust them with rooting powder (probably 1.6% IBA or so).

What do you all think? A few virts would be appreciated since I don't know how to do one...but I figured that this would be a nice tree to sharpen your teeth on. It's actually one of my first bonsai ever, so I'm kind of excited! As for the horticultural side of it, I've read TONS and TONS on it so I can keep it alive whatever happens...I just need some styling tips. I'm thinking informal upright right now--but who knows, maybe that'll change too.

Thanks everyone!
David

PS: The pictures were taken today.

Attachments

• Church and Zuisho Pine 011.jpg
    Church and Zuisho Pine 011.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 155
  • Church and Zuisho Pine 013.jpg
    Church and Zuisho Pine 013.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 66

Pine Barron

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'd airlayer one of those two trunks off so that you would have two "Zuisho."

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Pine Barron,
I happen to agree with you. I was already planning to do so. I guess great minds think alike!!

I need some more inspiration!!!

David

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone,

My 'Zuisho' is starting to break its buds...the candles are swelling. I pretty much want to leave it alone this year (let it recover from the mild root pruning I did and the trip from VA to me) but should I remove any candles at all? Also I think that I'm going to air layer the left trunk off. Should I do this next year or the year after? I don't want to do anything major to it this year but I don't know if next year will be too soon to chop half the tree off after it forms roots.

David

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I need some help with this tree. Now that the candles have fully developed, I am really starting to eye it critically. The new growth this year was small/short needled, probably because of the root pruning that I gave it and transportation, etc. I'll post a picture soon; I just have no idea what to do with it at this point without removing 75% of the tree or more. I'm starting to warm up to the idea of using it as a stock tree and taking cuttings and making sure that I have maximum control of the cuttings' growth, since it seems that I cannot "find" a bonsai in this one right now. Help please?

Top Bottom