Ol’ boxwood

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hello, so I have this boxwood that was on the property when we moved in.
I know it’s at least 15 years old but not sure how old. It’s been about this size since we bought the place 10 yrs ago.
It’s got these crazy low branches as you can see. Just looking for any advice as to what I should do with them.
Leave them both for Trunk thickening?

I don’t know if I’ll ever take this tree out but I’m still curious as to how to further develop it.
Thanks!08AB405A-AEA0-4DA1-8650-D771AD96CFC0.jpeg555D5158-5ACA-45BF-93ED-DB048E5CCDED.jpeg4BF21CA2-1E24-4FF8-8EB8-EA92A5DE51A1.jpeg9478FB1D-3C3D-40F9-9B29-A63FF5EC6D72.jpeg

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have to answer some questions. How thick do you want the lower trunk to be? How will you attain back-budding (you have zero low foliage)? If the trunk is thick enough, then you need to move to the next phase which would be chopping back to get some foliage where it would be useful. If you aren't happy with the thickness, leave it alone except for removing the wire that's biting in. Bonsai are usually made in development phases. You need to know where you are and what needs to happen next to achieve the ultimate goal.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you do have a couple small bits close in.
10 years...sounds like not much change in size, not enough to worry about another 10!

I'd cut it back to as far as you can leaving green where you intend to keep trunks.
1 green branch anywhere, before spring growth.

Sorce

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You have to answer some questions. How thick do you want the lower trunk to be? How will you attain back-budding (you have zero low foliage)? If the trunk is thick enough, then you need to move to the next phase which would be chopping back to get some foliage where it would be useful. If you aren't happy with the thickness, leave it alone except for removing the wire that's biting in. Bonsai are usually made in development phases. You need to know where you are and what needs to happen next to achieve the ultimate goal.
Ok. Yeah, thanks for the advice!
I believe I will leave in the ground.
It’s weird, I don’t know if the yearly snow pack line around tree has had an effect on mid level of tree- cuz the branches really died back at that level leaving it bare there.
It used to be full, causing those two lowest branches to swoop way out like so.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looks like you do have a couple small bits close in.
10 years...sounds like not much change in size, not enough to worry about another 10!

I'd cut it back to as far as you can leaving green where you intend to keep trunks.
1 green branch anywhere, before spring growth.

Sorce

Thanks Sorce. I think that will be my plan for this guy.
I have no burning need to dig this up, but I would like to develop it further.
Would you say spring for a chop?

Here (St. Paul Mn.) it should be half buried in snow till March-ish. Not to say I can’t clear around it to chop earlier.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ok. Yeah, thanks for the advice!
I believe I will leave in the ground.
It’s weird, I don’t know if the yearly snow pack line around tree has had an effect on mid level of tree- cuz the branches really died back at that level leaving it bare there.
It used to be full, causing those two lowest branches to swoop way out like so.
+ Definitely will get rid of that wire. -just a naive attempt to bring em up to fill bare area
Not doing anything anyways. 👍

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you say spring for a chop

You know....it depends.

I said pre spring growth so you can get spring and fall growth spurts for foliage to dig it with later.
But if that doesn't matter, I might chop it after the spring growth hardens, for what should be a better backbudding chop time at midsummer.

Of course both these go against the potted ones theory that I find to be true of equally removing top and bottom.
Which would mean at dig time, you should have some foliage to cut off....so maybe do both at once when you are prepared.

But something tells me you'll get the best backbudding and subsequent regrowth with it left in the ground, just cut back hard. It would have to be left for sometime afterward though, 3-5 years perhaps, to allow enough foliage and energy to remove some upon digging, because that equal removal will matter then too.

Sorce

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sounds good to me. I’m in no hurry with this.
Have just enjoyed having this one in the yard and will continue to enjoy watching it progress!
Thanks for your input!

Top Bottom