Old Barberry

Reaction score
about 16 inches tall from the rim of the pot.

seems to be raging healthy.

Attachments

• 101_0121.jpg
    101_0121.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 636

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice barberry, I might be tempted to cut the right side trunk off the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd like to echo that sentiment. That beautiful base is completely distracted from by the redundent trunk. I'd call it a daughter trunk, but it doesn't really have that feel either since it's only real difference is the height, not the overall trunk proportions. As I recall with barberry, trying to get some kind of lean would be problematic at best... so removing it would be a favorable option.... but you are definitely correct.... it seems VERY happy. :D

Redwing

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alternative possibility: cut the left-side trunk very short but keep foliage at the apex of its taper as a subsidiary branch. Let the right size trunk dominate, bring it down over the left side as far as possible, perhaps augmented by a slight counterclockwise rotation in planting angle.

Not sure you can pull it off, but if you can it's a lot more interesting a form than just another well-tapering barberry.

-rw

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To me the left trunk looks to be the better one, I would cut the right trunk, stand the tree upright, and shorten it a bit as well.

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I would definitely try to design it with both trunks in mind. You can cut that right trunk off whenever you want. Give it a chance first.

Reaction score
thanks for all the input. i can tilt it a little but the base is so wide... i'm not sure how beautiful i think the base is, really its just enormous, to the point that i think removing one of the trunks will cause the giant base to dwarf what otherwise is a decent sized trunk. idk maybe it wouldn't. i'm very interested in what everyone has to say. i'm sure i could chop the whole thing in half and make two trees out of it but i'd probably not be happy with its result.

the two trunks sort of move together so i'd like to at least explore the idea of keeping them both.

here's a photo i just took at another angle.

Attachments

• 101_0161.jpg
    101_0161.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 271
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
:D Now you let the cat out of the bag.... That view is radically different (and better) than the previous photo... While the parallel nature is still freakishly even, at least there's some energy inside of it that makes it visually interesting. The other view is very static.

What does it do from that side if you tip it towards the viewer?

Reaction score
:D Now you let the cat out of the bag.... That view is radically different (and better) than the previous photo... While the parallel nature is still freakishly even, at least there's some energy inside of it that makes it visually interesting. The other view is very static.

What does it do from that side if you tip it towards the viewer?

here are some shots of it tilted

Attachments

• 101_0168.jpg
    101_0168.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 101_0169.jpg
    101_0169.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 101_0170.jpg
    101_0170.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 101_0171.jpg
    101_0171.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 241
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to say I love the last photo in post 10, and the second photo in post 11. Very very nice material.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like pic 172 if you were to remove the apex that goes right, then both trunks move in a similar direction. Its a very nice barberry, but maybe a bit difficult to get at just the right angle.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like 169, 2nd photo post 10. The trunks move together but not identically. I love the bark on barberries.

Reaction score
if i tilt it too much i'll lose one whole side of the roots when they are burried. is that a worthy sacrafice?

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
plenty of options

This is kinda what I'm seein. Ya dig?

Nice tree, with a lot of directions you can head.

Dave

Attachments

• barberry.jpg
    barberry.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 119
Reaction score
looks strong. i think i'm just gonna let it get crazy before doing anything else. i still have not changed the planting angle.

Attachments

• P1010679.jpg
    P1010679.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 106

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this tree a lot. If you train the young branches early it is much easier than if you wait, just my two cents.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this......:)

Attachments

• barberry.jpg
    barberry.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 75
  • barberry2.jpg
    barberry2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 67