Old Bonsai Tool Kit Posted on CL

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Pretty neat little antique kit. Just plain cool. Says early 1900s.
I guess you could be a barber and bonsai practitioner at the same time with the tool roll ;)

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I guess you could be a barber and bonsai practitioner at the same time with the tool roll ;)
Did you buy it? I would...Make him in offer. I suspect it might be valuable. It's worth having checked out.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is not really worth much. If you're after working bonsai tools, $300 is better spent on a few new Japanese made tools. If you're after an antique to put on a shelf, well, your money might be better spent on a good quality Japanese artisan made bonsai pot (which if you choose well, will increase in value). This is an interesting antique. If you're set on getting it, I'd do some research. I'd doubt this dates much further back than the 1950's. The box is probably not contemporary with the tools. There are other clues as to some of the tool's dates. The "Made in Japan" stamp on one of the tools, for instance, indicates it was made for export post WWII...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a collectible it is great, but for a serious set of tools used day by day, not so much.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I'd share the pictures with someone who may be able to use them in a display, in a museum setting, or to collect. I'd find out if they're of value to somebody rather than do nothing is what I'm saying. I'd think someone would have a use for them. You really don't know anything about them until you know something and just sending photos to the right person is the way to go.

Someone who's studied in Japan, someone with an interest in antique bonsai tools. It wouldn't take too much effort to send them to someone who writes about bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd share the pictures with someone who may be able to use them in a display, in a museum setting, or to collect. I'd find out if they're of value to somebody rather than do nothing is what I'm saying. I'd think someone would have a use for them. You really don't know anything about them until you know something and just sending photos to the right person is the way to go.

Someone who's studied in Japan, someone with an interest in antique bonsai tools. It wouldn't take too much effort to send them to someone who writes about bonsai.
To be honest, stuff like this comes up regularly. There's nothing really special about any of the tools, the box or the tool roll. They're not useable for the most part. The tools are all rather clumsy for actual bonsai use. I have my doubts about these being a "bonsai" tool set, given the big blades, ungainly clippers and root cleaver. The syringe is interesting, but who's gonna use that.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
As a collectible it is great, but for a serious set of tools used day by day, not so much.
For sure. I just thought it might be of interest to someone doing research...A museum, school or something like that. But someone said flower arranging tools...That's interesting. I'd just be interested to know what they are. I can't imagine they'd be of use to someone needing tools to work with.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is not really worth much. If you're after working bonsai tools, $300 is better spent on a few new Japanese made tools. If you're after an antique to put on a shelf, well, your money might be better spent on a good quality Japanese artisan made bonsai pot (which if you choose well, will increase in value). This is an interesting antique. If you're set on getting it, I'd do some research. I'd doubt this dates much further back than the 1950's. The box is probably not contemporary with the tools. There are other clues as to some of the tool's dates. The "Made in Japan" stamp on one of the tools, for instance, indicates it was made for export post WWII...
Wouldn't the post WWII one be stamped "made in occupied Japan" rather than "made in Japan" which would be 1921 to 1941? Otherwise, I agree with you it's probably not worth much.

I agree with @Lutonian, those are probably ikebana tools rather than bonsai tools.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't the post WWII one be stamped "made in occupied Japan" rather than "made in Japan" which would be 1921 to 1941. Otherwise, I agree with you it's probably not worth much.

I agree with @Lutonian, those are probably ikebana tools rather than bonsai tools.
Nope. "Made in Japan" marks were used on items that were made during the occupation between 1945 and 1952, later as well. Given the condition of the tool, I wouldn't bet on any earlier than mid-1950's, probably a lot later.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I see that now, thank you for finding that. Bonsai didn't really make sense so am glad you solved it.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it but it is pretty cool. Glad you shared.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
They are. The shears are still used in ikebana. I have an old pair, they were $5. This set of tools should be about $20.
it is a cheap set of tool the seller just added that they was bonsai tools to bump the price up I think. these aren't a antique or a decent usable tool set. do you know what the syringe thingy is used for ?

Top Bottom