Old Boxwood - Need Help

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Hello,

As the title says I am in need of some advice. I planted this tree in the ground some time ago at my parents place. Over the years it has been somewhat neglected and will continue to be neglected as I can only get here once every few months. I would like to get it out of the ground and start training once it gets healthy.

My question would be, should I leave it for the optimal time to dig it up or dig it now and start proper care? This tree I believe has some great potential.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Image-1.jpeg
    Image-1.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 111

sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is the worst of the summer heat over for you in Santa Cruz? Or are you more like SF with a very hot September and October?

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Still gonna get pretty warm here in Santa Cruz. Although where this tree is going to end up once dug, will be a lot cooler then here.

sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’m thinking you should leave it until Spring. It has survived for years in those conditions, unless you expect it to be much different this year, it should continue to live for the next 6 months or so.

If you have reason to fear a fire will come through this year, then get it now, but otherwise let it keep growing in the ground.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice potential in the this tree.
I’m curious how long you’ve been growing this? Box woods take awhile to get that thickness.
Was this collected originally?
Most boxwoods are styled like informal broom or oak style because it takes forever to build taper and heal wounds. So the tree is trained with upward growing branches from a stump.
I would come back late winter and cut it to about 4-8 inches and collect at the same time or leave in the ground for another 1-2 years after cutting

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is a good thread of an old boxwood oak style from @rockm.

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
Nice potential in the this tree.
I’m curious how long you’ve been growing this? Box woods take awhile to get that thickness.
Was this collected originally?
Most boxwoods are styled like informal broom or oak style because it takes forever to build taper and heal wounds. So the tree is trained with upward growing branches from a stump.
I would come back late winter and cut it to about 4-8 inches and collect at the same time or leave in the ground for another 1-2 years after cutting

Thanks for he reply

I bought it from a gentleman about 8 years ago. He said it was around 30 years old maybe more. He had been growing it in a large pot for quite a while specifically with bonsai in mind.

I planned on cutting it down to around 15-20 inches. The tree as it stands now is about 40 inches. Why would you recommend cutting it down so much?

Thanks

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I collected my Boxwoods in the Spring. I think it's best to wait until then if at all possible. If it's healthy you can cut it down to that 15-20 inch height you were planning on and it should pop buds all over. You'll have to do some carving at the chop site in order to have it be convincing. Boxwoods put on girth very slowly (especially so in a pot) and you're not going to heal the chop scar in this lifetime.
Plant it in a container just bigger than the rootball in bonsai soil. Don't do any styling until you've seen strong growth for a good period of time. I was able to do the first styling on mine that fall only because it grew very strongly. You may need to wait until the following year. Good luck and keep us posted!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's a thread on one of my Boxwoods. They make great bonsai and are enjoyable to work on!

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for he reply

I bought it from a gentleman about 8 years ago. He said it was around 30 years old maybe more. He had been growing it in a large pot for quite a while specifically with bonsai in mind.

I planned on cutting it down to around 15-20 inches. The tree as it stands now is about 40 inches. Why would you recommend cutting it down so much?

Thanks
I suggested lower chop as a option. It depends on the style you want. I also posted @rockm tall boxwood for inspiration as well. Tall might be better for your tree.
These are some pics of potential direction for your tree also. If the chop is lower you can train branches upward with movement in an oak style.
A 15” chop is pretty high but I really like @misfit11 trees as well.
E280D9CF-5660-42C2-909C-B36C46343EF6.jpegD88A3B7D-3486-4BDD-841C-EEE5E4A7B047.jpegD23E0DB2-5726-4B2D-9395-F53B92F53D23.jpeg

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
I collected my Boxwoods in the Spring. I think it's best to wait until then if at all possible. If it's healthy you can cut it down to that 15-20 inch height you were planning on and it should pop buds all over. You'll have to do some carving at the chop site in order to have it be convincing. Boxwoods put on girth very slowly (especially so in a pot) and you're not going to heal the chop scar in this lifetime.
Plant it in a container just bigger than the rootball in bonsai soil. Don't do any styling until you've seen strong growth for a good period of time. I was able to do the first styling on mine that fall only because it grew very strongly. You may need to wait until the following year. Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh boy those are some nice trees you got there. Thanks for the advice. I think I will wait until spring and chop and dig.

Defect

Mame
Reaction score
I suggested lower chop as a option. It depends on the style you want. I also posted @rockm tall boxwood for inspiration as well. Tall might be better for your tree.
These are some pics of potential direction for your tree also. If the chop is lower you can train branches upward with movement in an oak style.
A 15” chop is pretty high but I really like @misfit11 trees as well.
View attachment 261027View attachment 261028View attachment 261029

Ahhh....I see the direction you are talking about now. Makes sense.

Top Bottom