Old boxwood splitting bark

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1447.JPG This boxwood i saved is splitting pretty bad. After a lil research i thought about wrapping it with plastic wrap but At closer look i notice the trunks have healed over many splits from previous years. People said they have recently removed many large pecan trees on their tiny less than acre backyard where the box was. Dont know how long ago. Maybe couple to a few years. Seems maybe the cold and sun have beat the shit out of it the past few years causing cracking. I did not give it protection. Never really have. But i plan to now. Question is, should i wrap the peeling bark or it or leave it be?everything i read says cut it on edge of crack with clean knife and put some kind compound or wrap on it. IMG_1448.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That doesn't look right...
I've seen trees that have a naturally splitting or exfoliating bark...

But it looks like that is split through all the way to the wood.

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
I was hoping its just sun on frozen bark damage but it appears on different sides of branches. Not just one side. So cold and old age? Or fungal/bacterial? Seems boxwoods have a plethera of problems after researching. Gonna have to baby it i guess and hope it pulls through.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
My first thought was that tree is dying/dead because the bark is not just split, which I’ve seen happen on a Japanese maple during a strong growth spurt, but also the cambium seems to be separating from the underlying wood. That shouldn’t happen unless perhaps it is drying and shrinking. Sorry, hope I’m wrong and it is ok.

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
My first thought was that tree is dying/dead because the bark is not just split, which I’ve seen happen on a Japanese maple during a strong growth spurt, but also the cambium seems to be separating from the underlying wood. That shouldn’t happen unless perhaps it is drying and shrinking. Sorry, hope I’m wrong and it is ok.
That was also mine but after seing all the other scars from splits gave me a little hope. However they look much worse. We will see

Top Bottom