Old bushes. Leave in ground or try to pot?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi all! I’m new to this forum, and to Bonsai (although I have been a gardener for 40 years). I thought I knew a little about Bonsai, but now I’m convinced I know absolutely nothing! I’m going to be content to quietly follow y’all for quite awhile!

Here is a Pieris and an Azalea- both approx 20 years old. Any potential as a Bonsai? I am just showing the base - they are very healthy bushes in spite of having just been “thrown into the woods” years ago when they were divided from the main bush. If they have any potential I was thinking of pruning them back a bit right where they are and revisit in the Spring. Thoughts? TIA!

3BC8C711-9127-4D44-AB6F-72B339EDB379.jpeg

74BD42E1-E65F-49ED-A9A7-705BE7FA06E2.jpeg3BC8C711-9127-4D44-AB6F-72B339EDB379.jpeg74BD42E1-E65F-49ED-A9A7-705BE7FA06E2.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have the Art to make the Art....

Those are different, so it will take Both to make them good.

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't bother.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It depends greatly on how large they are and whether they will bud back close to the base. You must cut them back drastically, and this will leave very large pruning scars. I'm not very familiar with these species, and they may not tolerate this treatment. Even in the best case scenario the scars will take a long time to close and look acceptable.

But you could cut them back while they are in the ground and see what happens. Be bold! Assuming you are planning to remove them anyway, you won't waste much effort.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As a greenhorn, you should leave these be until you get some notches on your gun. As you become more familiar with the spacial relationship between roots & tops you will have a better idea of what is do-able as bonsai verses digging up something and only then figuring out what to do with it. Take your time pondering.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Azalea will definitely sprout from old, bare wood. Not sure about Pieris but I assume it will also.
As they are just 'thrown in the woods' plants it won't hurt to try cutting both back to stumps and see what grows. You can dig them up after they have got started again after the cut back - probably next spring but if you have the patience you could cut and grow in situ for a year or 2 before transplant.

Top Bottom