Old Cedar Elm bonsai redux

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I bought this tree from a grower in Dallas. It spent some time as a bonsai - I know because I found drainage screen and aluminum to wire deep in the roots when I repotted. It was then moved into a 20 gallon pot and hedged for MANY years. 280278

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like your creative eye that pushes right through an entangled mess of growth to find the inner tree. Mighty fine!

A little sweat with that root removal. Fun. Rewarding. But alway a surprising amount of work involved. I also have a Dewalt 20v Compact model....one of my best work saver tools.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool....taking it down from that massive poundage of a root ball to the essentials for continuing on with a more healthy tree.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks like it will fit into the most expensive Sarah Raynor pot ever sold.
IMG_7200.jpeg

A funny story about this pot. It was auctioned at the ABS convention in April. My wife and I got into a very public bidding war over it. It became a point of pride and neither of us wanted to lose. So the bidding escalated quickly. At some point during the wild bidding war, I realized two things. First - I was bidding against my wife. Even if I won, I was going to lose. Second - my wife was using my own bidding number to bid against me. Which meant that even if I lost, I was still going to pay. Thwarted at every turn, I accepted defeat and wrote the huge check (a donation we wanted to make, in reality). But a funny one. @BillsBayou got into the fun at one point. Almost let him have it.

But glad to have found a nice tree for it.

S

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Awesome looking tree, thanks for sharing! I will one day be doing something similar to a large ficus I have living in a trash can as well, this helps to motivate, lol.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
VERY nice CE with one helluva nebari. CE typically have crummy nebari--sparse, or lopsided. This is anything but.

You've done very well in branch selection and reduction. I have to work the same out with my big CE every few years, especially the apex. Swelling can happen quickly on faster growing branches in the top.

This is working into a great tree and that pot is killer!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fantastic material 👌. That base and nebari are worth it on their own. The tree has a great aged look and has a terrific natural appeal to it. The SR is a nice match. Looking forward to this tree's bright future. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom