Old collected forsythia

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Since I'm finally getting somewhere with this one I've decided to start a progression thread. The tree was collected from an old Massachusetts estate in the hills. After collection it spend 2 years in a pot, 1 year free growth, and a year picking leaders and working on branching. Spring 2018 it was put back in the ground for free growth again, the top and upper branches died at the expense of sucker shoots. Typical with forsythia I'd imagine, but everything happens for a reason and I'm now left with the first Branch in good shape. Yesterday it was lifted from the grow box and all suckers removed, and put in one of my pots, now to work on keeping the new Apex in check. Expecting blooms any day.Screenshot_20190414-220229.png

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm thinking so. I cut off a lot of flower buds already. Thoughts on removing the rest for growth purposes? Or let em rip and enjoy em?
What's the point of a flowering tree, if you don't get to enjoy the flowers?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Another biddy from the same pull. Should have found a better pot for it. It's got one issues. This is basically the best front due to the akward top 2 branches. Let's see what the season brings. These things grow so fast, you get to make lots of choices in a single season.Screenshot_20190415-214436.png

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
nice man :D
i like forsythia
remembers me i got to airlayer the top off mine in the ground so i can dig up the interesting part for bonsai next year :D
the wife want it to stay in the garden so ill just gonna make it 20 inch shorter lol

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Second your second...in a minute!!o_O:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Forsythia just blooming here....almost a month later than I'm used to!!!:oops:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very good starts on these. Do these tend to drop branches? If so then just be cautious paring it down too much. That pot with the blooms will be so good.

Top Bottom