Old crepe myrtle

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
Anyone interested? Dug about 5 yrs ago. Just been chillen in a nursery pot ever since. Make offer. Im not attached. Unsure of color. Carved on it a little to get a feel for it. Shipping will be expensive. Thx. Im in nc.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 226

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcime to Crazy.

This is where it would be useful to have that visitor map.

Circle an area like Trulia...PM everyone in an area.

Sold.

Good luck!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure i follow you.

I think he means - wouldn't it be great to have a function on this site where you could circle a certain area on a map, and then be able to send a PM out to all members who lived in that area, so you could contact local people who could do local pickup :)

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think he means - wouldn't it be great to have a function on this site where you could circle a certain area on a map, and then be able to send a PM out to all members who lived in that area, so you could contact local people who could do local pickup :)
That would be a terrific idea. BNut let's get to work. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But also...

Most importantly......

To get advice valid to your area.

Maybe dum 2018 upgrades fittin to get us there....:cool:o_O

We do have a lot of Caroliners.

@M. Frary Got a bunch of one....
Liners.

Sorce

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Anyone interested? Dug about 5 yrs ago. Just been chillen in a nursery pot ever since. Make offer. Im not attached. Unsure of color. Carved on it a little to get a feel for it. Shipping will be expensive. Thx. Im in nc.

How much are you looking to get for it?

And am kind of confused about its history, you say dug 5yrs ago - it looks like it was recently dug (in fact it looks quite similar to one I got last year), it doesn't look like it's had 1 season of growth&development let alone 5yrs, would be very interested to hear your reply on this because I'm new to this hobby and the one I have that's similar, I got it late in '17 so it didn't get a lot of growth but was able to develop it a bit and am expecting that by the end of this summer it'll be much more 'pre-bonsai' than 'stock' - any and all info you can provide would be hugely appreciated!!

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
It was just left in a nursery pot with compost. Only given water and small amounts of fertilizer to stay alive. Basically it struggled every year and never really had much growth. I dug it when i was first starting out myself. Maybe longer than 5 years. I lose track of time. I barerooted it is why it looks that way. And pruned off the top. 100$ if someone can pick up. 200 if i got to ship it. I will likely practice on it carving some this year. Im basically a newbie myself. Thx.

Reactions: SU2

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It was just left in a nursery pot with compost. Only given water and small amounts of fertilizer to stay alive. Basically it struggled every year and never really had much growth. I dug it when i was first starting out myself. Maybe longer than 5 years. I lose track of time. I barerooted it is why it looks that way. And pruned off the top. 100$ if someone can pick up. 200 if i got to ship it. I will likely practice on it carving some this year. Im basically a newbie myself. Thx.

I'm really surprised it didn't have much growth in 5yrs!! This is the one I was referring to:
After digging-up in late-summer (before removing a little over half that root-mass and rinsing it clean):
19700517_062058.jpg
~2-3mo later:

19700612_211418.jpg19700717_051241.jpg

Then I cut-back that ^ first flush of growth but it was so late in season that it's still just putting out wimpy new growth (expecting tons of growth this spring/summer though, and w/ how awkwardly-shaped the trunk/primaries are, am expecting I'll have to remove easily 1/3-->1/2 of the trunk to taper/style it into the branches...)

Do you have any pics of yours w/ foliage?

(and fwiw I know that mine's terrible quality stock, it was more just a chance to get my first large crape, I recently got another I'm real excited about but will have to wait til spring to see if it survived collection:
19700413_180145.jpg

I'd been thinking that crapes would be good for bonsai due to how fast they grow, the lack of growth on yours has me worried I miscalculated :(

BonsaiFurLife

Yamadori
Reaction score
Trees look good. No worries. Theses things are weeds. This one was given minimal care and survived. Ive rooted over an inch worth of trunk before. Just stuck in compost pile in the shade. I cut it back is why no growth. It was also shaded. If nothing else they are good trees to learn on. No photos. Sorry.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really don’t mean to offend, but it would be a disservice to this art to charge such a price for this stump.

It’s in poor soil, “struggled every year and never had much growth”, a squatty stump with large root suckers that has never had any Root work done..basically neglected for 5 years, or more?

If I were interested in this tree, there would be a mountain of questions. Most importantly.. where are the recent pictures?
Are these pictures from 5 years ago, or now? Bc if it were now.... Eastern NC is not the place to be bare rooting a crape this time of year.

In this tree’s case, it’s size should only be used to determine shipping costs, not it’s value. If I were selling.. 25 pickup 50+shipping... and that is generous

As I said before, I really don’t want to stir the pot, but I also do not want a younger/ less experienced member have the wool pulled over their eyes.

I’ve either misconstrued the timeline/story, or My suspicions are validated.. please help me

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Trees look good. No worries. Theses things are weeds. This one was given minimal care and survived. Ive rooted over an inch worth of trunk before. Just stuck in compost pile in the shade. I cut it back is why no growth. It was also shaded. If nothing else they are good trees to learn on. No photos. Sorry.

Yeah I found that out last summer, I've got a 4" wide hardwood cutting that's rooted and is currently dormant (leaves are purple for winter, haven't fallen though), have also put chunks of crape roots in the ground and gotten little trees!

I guess what I was trying to get at, which @vaibatron just put out there much more forward than I did :p , was that the thing simply doesn't look 5yrs from collection (in fact I'd bet dollars-to-donuts that those pics are right after the collection), maybe you just posted the post-collection pics but that'd be kind of weird to do in a thread where you're trying to sell it and saying it's got 5yrs out-of-ground, then post pics of it at collection-time w/o any pics of how it looks now....in the pics you posted you can clearly tell those large primaries were recently cut, are you saying that you'd collected it 5yrs ago as a tall, whole tree, w/o trunk-chopping it, and then, now, just before trying to sell it, you went and cut the primaries? Because those pics def show primaries that were just cut, and no matter how low the level of care you gave it in 5yrs it certainly would've back-budded if it were alive, so it just doesn't add-up because your pics + a 5yr claim could only hold true if those pics were at collection time, but if that's the case I cannot fathom why you'd omit current pictures of it... if you collect yamadori material and you've had this for 5yrs it's equally unfathomable that these would be the only pics (nevermind that, even if you never took pics the whole time, you'd still have surely taken current pics before trying to sell)

Am real curious what its situation is, am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here but my thoughts are the same as @vaibatron's and am real curious if you can take some current pics or explain the disparity between those pictures and a "5yr's old collected crape" because something's off here :/

Top Bottom