Old Friends

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My recent move to retire with my wife in the Philippines has been a big - no ... a HUGE - change in many ways, and I'm still reeling from it at times.

But one of the true pleasures for me has been a renewed, and once again fond, relationship with my root hook, and to a lesser extent my chopstick. It brings back nostalgic feelings of the years I spent after first moving to the Puget Sound area 15 years ago, building up my bonsai collection by frequenting non-bonsai nurseries, and going collection in various wild areas. These two tools were my constant companions at that time of great excitement.

Now, I'm starting my collection anew, and once again getting material that needs those two simple but precious tools, and it brings back many memories and renewed affection for these simplist of tools, and the processes involved in acquiring and starting new trees.

Have others had any similar experiences or appreciation regarding these simplest of tools?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tools that allow for investigation of the most exciting and hidden part of the mission.....

There is a special fondness there!

Custom Bent barbecue Skewers!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Though I use all my tools at one time or other, I use my long bladed shears and my chop sticks the most.

Funny thing... I actually feel attached to my old leather tool roll. I've had it so long it has developed a patina of its own.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My recent move to retire with my wife in the Philippines has been a big - no ... a HUGE - change in many ways, and I'm still reeling from it at times.

But one of the true pleasures for me has been a renewed, and once again fond, relationship with my root hook, and to a lesser extent my chopstick. It brings back nostalgic feelings of the years I spent after first moving to the Puget Sound area 15 years ago, building up my bonsai collection by frequenting non-bonsai nurseries, and going collection in various wild areas. These two tools were my constant companions at that time of great excitement.

Now, I'm starting my collection anew, and once again getting material that needs those two simple but precious tools, and it brings back many memories and renewed affection for these simplist of tools, and the processes involved in acquiring and starting new trees.

Have others had any similar experiences or appreciation regarding these simplest of tools?
I'm sorry I seem to be such an ignorant fool but why didn't you take your tools with you, or at least ship them overseas to your new home?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sorry I seem to be such an ignorant fool but why didn't you take your tools with you, or at least ship them overseas to your new home?

Uhhhh .... I did ... that's a photo of them taken yesterday .... been using them frequently here .... hence the renewed fondness ... hence the post ..... .. .. ....... .. .

All these years on BNut, and I don't recall that you've ever commented on one of my posts, nor I on yours. Greetings, I think.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Uhhhh .... I did ... that's a photo of them taken yesterday .... been using them frequently here .... hence the renewed fondness ... hence the post ..... .. .. ....... .. .

All these years on BNut, and I don't recall that you've ever commented on one of my posts, nor I on yours. Greetings, I think.
You have to go back a few years but it has happened.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
did you take with? any, a carry on?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
did you take with? any, a carry on?

No, all my/our earthly belongings - except a few last minute items, were sent over here, 1) in a 40' shipping container when we sold our house in preoaration for the move about a year and a half ago, the container then placed in storage in a warehouse near the port in Manila until about a month ago, or 2) put into a couple dozen "Balakbayan boxes" (meant for overseas Filipino workers to sent stuff home to family), and shipped surface freight over the past year as we cleared out all the other stuff we lived with in an apartment until we retired and moved: about 30 large, heavy boxes, the last of which arrived a week ago. These were stored at my wife's sister's house in Manila until two weeks ago when they had all come in, and then were a large truck that delivered them to the rental home we are living in up here in Baguio until our home gets built on the land we bought here for this purpose years ago. I don't, BTW, recommend any of these things to anyone who wants to keep their sanity.

Since I sold off or gave away all my trees before our house sold, the container contained all my tools and a number of pots that were unoccupied at the time I liquidated my collection. I brought nothing related to bonsai in my luggage.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A heavy Kaneshin root hook and a folding hand saw are my very basic tools when collecting. The root hook is good for cutting a circle around a tree. I can get under the root ball very comfortably with it. When it hits some big roots the saw is used. Plus some other tools - shovel and some old pruners.

Top Bottom