"Old Gold" - Help me please?

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I picked out this Old Gold Juniper at a box store after shamelessly feeling nebari through about 20 nursery pots. I love the trunk movement, and I feel like there are lots of options. I want to take this one really slow and methodical, so all I've done so far is some light cleaning. There is some nice root flare under the soil, enough to support any side as a front, I think.

My questions:

1: Is autumn a safe time to do structural pruning / branch selection / biggish cuts on THIS tree?
2: Is there a front that looks 'better' in your opinion?
3: Would this be better as a double trunk style, or would you eliminate the 'second trunk'? Why or why not?

Front 1 w/ foliage
front 1 b w foliage.JPG

Front 1
front 1a.JPG

Front 1, rotated clockwise

front 1b (double trunk).JPG

Front 1, another view

front 1b2 (double trunk).JPG

Front 2 (love that movement). Needs more cleanup

front 2a.JPG

Lots of foliage

IMG-4611.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-4610.JPG
    IMG-4610.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 22

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be honest.. i only see one trunk. Unless you mean the lowest branxh? That in no way syncs eith the main trunk so it would be out were it mine.

Have you considered putting it in the ground for a few years? Looks really healthy and I could imagine it doubling in trunksize in a year..

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To be honest.. i only see one trunk. Unless you mean the lowest branxh? That in no way syncs eith the main trunk so it would be out were it mine.

Have you considered putting it in the ground for a few years? Looks really healthy and I could imagine it doubling in trunksize in a year..

Yeah, the lowest branch. In person, it feels like its way too thick to be a branch in the overall composition, but at least it'll help thicken the base as a sacrifice, right?

I do have plenty of full sun space to plant and let it fatten up. Maybe I'll go that route. Is it ok to transplant it this time of year?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, the lowest branch. In person, it feels like its way too thick to be a branch in the overall composition, but at least it'll help thicken the base as a sacrifice, right?

I do have plenty of full sun space to plant and let it fatten up. Maybe I'll go that route. Is it ok to transplant it this time of year?

It will work to get the base thicker.
For me, planting out should go hand in hand with decent rootwork. Set the basis right. I would not do that anymore if you are getting near your first frost date.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would get it into good soil, and not touch it for a year. My old gold is way more “gold” and is super healthy. I put mine into good soil last spring, and it exploded. Ill be styling this spring. Ill post a pic of the foliage tomorrow.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I tried uploading the pic a few times and it did t work (happens to me often) ill give it another shot.

Edit: yeah I still cant upload from my iphone. Cant attach file, or input photo into text.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried uploading the pic a few times and it did t work (happens to me often) ill give it another shot.

Edit: yeah I still cant upload from my iphone. Cant attach file, or

input photo into text.

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the attempt. I know the frustration.

Sorce

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Atom#28 i dont know if you have already done any work on this since posting. But if not. The front that really stands out to me is 'Front 1, rotated clockwise'. I would try to style it as a semi-cascade with a main trunk line. As in.

REBS.jpg

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Atom#28 i dont know if you have already done any work on this since posting. But if not. The front that really stands out to me is 'Front 1, rotated clockwise'. I would try to style it as a semi-cascade with a main trunk line. As in.

Yep! That's the front I chose, for now. I did some branch selection and a bit of structural wiring a couple nights ago. Threw in a little jin and shari, too. My plan is to keep the lowest left-side branch as a probable sacrifice to further thicken the base...but after a season or two of ground-growing I can reevaluate its usefulness in the design. I have experimented with rotating the planting angle about 40 degrees to the left and I like it. I'm going to swing that current apex piece forward, toward the viewer to get a more compact form, and hope to get more movement into the main branch on the right as well.

Don't knock my wiring, this is only my second try!! :)

IMG-4823.JPGd

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Sorry about that.

Thanks for the attempt. I know the frustration.

Sorce
1uYgYaO.jpg

I won’t give up on you guys if you guys don’t give up on me!

Ps this old gold has been in this pot for a year. Next year its going to be styled.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a Sea of Gold, Gold Tip and a Gold Lace. Below is a Sargent and Gold Lace.
The Gold Tip and Lace were cut back hard just after July 4th, and have responded
much better than expected.
1569886837179.png 1569886967085.png DSC_3615.JPG
Last pic is just now as it is. Potting in late April.

My Sea of Gold I potted up like that beautiful Old Gold @MrWunderful has
but I've opened it up to breathe quite a bit more, removing a lot of the extraneous
green growth deep within that has little photosynthesis mechanics to it and for certain
where it will not lend to future design.

Top Bottom