Old Gold progression.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Stop messing with it. It needs all the foliage it has to recover now, not to mention get itself prepared for winter. Juniper rely on their foliage for that...
Bonsai is done in stages over many years, not over a few weeks
LEAVE IT ALONE
I will, now that I'm happy with it. 😜thanks for the concern, if I wanted to be stupid I'd of repotted it like I wanted to.
Stop messing with it. It needs all the foliage it has to recover now, not to mention get itself prepared for winter. Juniper rely on their foliage for that...
Bonsai is done in stages over many years, not over a few weeks
LEAVE IT ALONE

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I will, now that I'm happy with it. 😜thanks for the concern, if I wanted to be stupid I'd of repotted it like I wanted to.

The thing is you may have already been stupid. You did major work to this tree in June and instead of letting it recover you cut even more of that very much needed foliage off one month later just because you "didn't like the look of it"

For the good of the tree, you need to put your immediate wants aside for the long term needs of the tree.

Trees don't work on the time frame of weeks, they work on the time frame of years. You need to learn that and develop patience or you will not be successful in bonsai.

It would not have killed you to be patient and lived with how it was for a year or two to let the tree get stronger then cut those branches off. Instead you may have killed the tree.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The thing is you may have already been stupid. You did major work to this tree in June and instead of letting it recover you cut even more of that very much needed foliage off one month later just because you "didn't like the look of it"

For the good of the tree, you need to put your immediate wants aside for the long term needs of the tree.

Trees don't work on the time frame of weeks, they work on the time frame of years. You need to learn that and develop patience or you will not be successful in bonsai.

It would not have killed you to be patient and lived with how it was for a year or two to let the tree get stronger then cut those branches off. Instead you may have killed the tree.
You're right, it wouldn't have killed me to wait a couple of years, but it also isn't going to kill this 10$ tree to do what I did. Is it the best time for this work? No, but it should be fine. Plenty of time to recover before winter. Like I said, I appreciate the helpful input, but starting by saying I'm making stupid decisions is kinda rough. Grandma always told me you get more flies with honey than vinager. ✌

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're right, it wouldn't have killed me to wait a couple of years, but it also isn't going to kill this 10$ tree to do what I did. Is it the best time for this work? No, but it should be fine. Plenty of time to recover before winter. Like I said, I appreciate the helpful input, but starting by saying I'm making stupid decisions is kinda rough. Grandma always told me you get more flies with honey than vinager. ✌

Some times even grandma uses tough love to get us to learn from her mistakes. If trying to help you not kill your trees so that you progress in the hobby unlike so many others that killed trees and quit in frustration is a bit rough then so be it.

Many of us here will not sugar coat things and will be candid in our comments and advice.

As a famous once frequent member of this forum has said many times, if you only want pats on the back and attaboys, you're in the wrong place.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some times even grandma uses tough love to get us to learn from her mistakes. If trying to help you not kill your trees so that you progress in the hobby unlike so many others that killed trees and quit in frustration is a bit rough then so be it.

Many of us here will not sugar coat things and will be candid in our comments and advice.

As a famous once frequent member of this forum has said many times, if you only want pats on the back and attaboys, you're in the wrong place.
I get it, and that's why I come here. While I have your attention, I have a ginkgo that just doesn't seem as green as it should and has only had the initial flush of growth this year. It wasn't repotted this spring, but was just planted a year and a half ago. I have it in partial shade. Could that cause lack of growth and vigor? Everything around it looks fine. I'm using a general purpose fertilizer 24-8-18 with Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, and Zink. Everything else looks great. It's not looking like it's dying, but not thriving.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I get it, and that's why I come here. While I have your attention, I have a ginkgo that just doesn't seem as green as it should and has only had the initial flush of growth this year. It wasn't repotted this spring, but was just planted a year and a half ago. I have it in partial shade. Could that cause lack of growth and vigor? Everything around it looks fine. I'm using a general purpose fertilizer 24-8-18 with Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, and Zink. Everything else looks great. It's not looking like it's dying, but not thriving.

Have you started a thread for that tree? If you haven't, I would recommend that you do and post pictures.
Also post the details, that it was planted (is it in the ground?) a year and a half ago, if its in a pot, what the soil type is, etc.
You said its in partial shade, does it get morning sun, afternoon?

I dont grow any ginko and I am not knowledgeable about them so I am not the best person to ask about it, but there are people here that do have a lot of experience with them. Its possible that the partial shade could be a problem but as I said I cant say because I dont know that species.

So rather than muddy up this thread about your juniper with ginko, start a new thread about it if you havent so others can also learn from it.
Good luck with it

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Took All the structural wire off and pinched the growth back a little. It's filling in nicely.
IMG_20220530_152128047_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20220530_152117683_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20220530_152101868_HDR~2.jpg

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMG_20220703_174340781~2.jpgIMG_20220703_174352032~2.jpgso I ended up taking another Branch off to make some room. Then I put some wire back on. I think it's filling out nicely. Next spring maybe I'll have a pot to replant it into. Which angle looks best as the front?IMG_20220703_174406621~2.jpg

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I cleaned it up on the bottoms of the pads and adjusted the positioning to see the trunk at that angle. Any better?IMG_20220704_132927815_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20220704_132942238_HDR~2.jpg

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Re-potted in early spring when I started to see growth. Since then I've gotten some good growth and it's looking strong. I'll let it be for this year to get some new growth.IMG_20230612_190356157~2.jpgIMG_20230612_190433849~2.jpgIMG_20230612_190444373~2.jpgIMG_20230612_190456425~2.jpg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks really nice! I also have an old gold that is a little lost, but yours has really found itself. I need to take some of the advice you got in here and be more patient to let it grow.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A little thinning and fall pruning, also removed any remaining wire. I like this little tree, it's coming along nicely.
IMG_20231018_113934891_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20231018_113919728_HDR~2.jpg

Top Bottom