Old Golds new home

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
14718857210471621179854.jpg last fall, I purchased this old gold from a nursery and hard pruned it, last week I pruned the root ball and planted it inside a trainer pot with bonsai soil. Comments, suggestions, input?

Attachments

• 1471885794386-1382180322.jpg
    1471885794386-1382180322.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 6

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Should I keep the trunk where it is and just rotate?
Since you just repotted, yes. Next spring, you could replace it into this position, if you want. Meanwhile, you can prop up one side of the pot and keep it that way until it has to be 'put away' for the winter.

It is just a matter of aesthetic preference. As you have it potted, the two trunks are like mirror images and it looks like a sling shot. A horizontal canopy on top further emphasizes this. Rotating it like I showed makes it look more like a main trunk and a low branch, which I think is more interesting and attractive. Alternatively, you could just shorten one of the two trunks, but I think this route will take a much longer time to achieve an attractive result.

Anyway, think about where you want to take it and you can start on that plan next spring.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes I like your idea about rotating it to make the one trunk a low branch and emphasising the other. I bought this thing knowing it had an ugly slingshot, but I thought it had hope

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
rotated is looking better i think
i recently bought a old gold too
similair to yours maybe it is a bit younger tough as said by osoyoung also to Learn and practice my skills on its fun to do
looking forward to youre development!

Top Bottom