old japanese black pine bonsai

brianjuniper

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello all i thought you might like to see a rather new to me J.B.P. i picked this guy up for a steal because it could use a little TLC which i am glad to give it 100_1175.jpg100_1181.jpg as always any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you, Brian

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I like the tree. you're going to need to look at the Japanese imperial collection for ideas on this one. It houses what would be considered unorthodox pines by today's styling standards. I actually like those old trees. This one will be unique, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
no other suggestions?

What more are you looking for? If it needs TLC, feed it and keep it in plenty of sun.

if you're hoping to wire it because its healthy enough to do so, then wire every branch, spread them out fan-shaped, and point the tips up. You'll definitely want to keep as much as you can, but as you wire, it appears that the crown is plenty dense, and you'd end up removing 10-15 shoots.

if you're looking for more, bring it here...looks like it could be wired out into a nice looking bonsai.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im crap with conifers but:

looks like the initial pic shows a angle change? I like it.

it would make a good slant style, and the long straight trunk will get covered up a bit if you angle it and bring some branches down. If you did this, you may not need to hack the trunk at the y, just thin out the lower y... and apex too, actually thin out the whole thing while you wire.

but short of drastic chopping, the best style advice I could offer is to bring the branches down.

It might make a good literati, but I personally don't really care for them... thanks for sharing!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If the tree were mine I would consider layering off one or the other of the two major portions of the top of the tree. As it is now, I don't think there is a reasonable way to make it into a reasonable bonsai that you will be happy with down the road. If you layer off you have the chance of having two distinct trees with distinct possibilities instead of one tree with questionable possibilities.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
A couple more things that you may already know:
1. Make sure that it is in good quality soil that is appropriate for black pine in your area. I use 1/3 akadama, 1/3 hyuga (pumice), and 1/3 lava all screened to approx. 1/4 inch size and all fines sifted out. If you need to repot do it early spring.
2. Carefully clean that moss off of the trunk base or it will destroy your fine old bark.
3.Refrain from pruning or wiring until the tree is in top health.

brianjuniper

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What do you guys think about somehow bending the lowest branch down and wiring the pads out many someone could make a virtual of this or throw me some other ideas, also I am planning on repoting this in the spring any great pots in mind.
Thank you guys again, Brian

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
The pot it's in looks decent for training. Don't go too much bigger as then you'll have to work to bring it back smaller again.
P.S. Ive never seen any ask someone to make a virt for them, I've only seen it graciously offered by some unsolicited

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
jbp virt.jpg

You could also keep lower branch as your primary but it's really large. Growing is always an option to...

Top Bottom