Old Kishu

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Kimura tree great tree but does anyone else notice appearance of reverse taper in every pico_O. And yet is still world class tree.
For the most part this tree is world class because it's a legacy tree with a long and famous history. I remember this tree from Yoshimura's book in 1957.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
For the most part this tree is world class because it's a legacy tree with a long and famous history. I remember this tree from Yoshimura's book in 1957.

I didn't remember it in there. I'll have to take a look.

Scott

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I didn't remember it in there. I'll have to take a look.

Scott
It's in the middle section with all of the black and white photos. At that time it belonged to Yohsuimura's father. Of course there have been at least two printings of that book and the photos may have been placed differently.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's in the middle section with all of the black and white photos. At that time it belonged to Yohsuimura's father. Of course there have been at least two printings of that book and the photos may have been placed differently.

Thnx - I'll take a look when I get home.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

This one is in Yoshimura's book:
IMG_4924.JPG

Looks like it's in a shallower pot. I think it might be the same one as in the 1939 picture, but the front had been switched for this picture. I'd guess that this was intended to be the back of the tree when it was potted - look at the defect on the right side of the pot. That wasn't visible from the other front in the 1939 picture. I think that's interesting - according to the BT article, the front wasn't switched until it was restyled in 1975, 18 years after Yuji's book. I wonder why the owner allowed the back of the tree to be photographed? Were they thinking about switching the front? Did they switch fronts from time to time? The other thing I noticed about it was that in Kimura's care he planted it a lot deeper, burying much of the nebari exposed in the YY picture. Interesting - I wonder why he did that? The nebari is nice, I think.

One of the things that makes this juniper famous was that it was collected from Mt. Ishizuchi on Shikoku Island in the 1920's and planted as a garden centerpiece for almost a decade. Mt. Ishizuchi is a very famous collecting area and many other fine bonsai came from this mountain. So it had good provenance. When it was sold for the first time as a bonsai in 1938 it commanded one of the highest price paid for a bonsai. It was shown in Kokufu 29, 37, and 43. When the Nippon Bonsai Associate created the Register of Bonsai Masterpieces in 1980, this tree was one of the first entered. It won the Dai-Ken-Ten in 1981. But I've not found any reference to it since the 1995 BT article. I wonder where it is now?

I love those early Bonsai Today magazines. I still go back to them all the time.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Thanks Vance for pointing me to the picture in Yuji's book. I'd forgotten about that.

Scott

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might we see an update here, while Boon's in the house?

Suthin's isn't more than an hour and a half away.....gotta' set up a visit one day! Wonder if you can sign over an income tax check?:eek:;):D:D:D:D

Boon always looks quite happy, that's nice.:cool:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Might we see an update here, while Boon's in the house?

Suthin's isn't more than an hour and a half away.....gotta' set up a visit one day! Wonder if you can sign over an income tax check?:eek:;):D:D:D:D

Boon always looks quite happy, that's nice.:cool:

Actually, I moved it to California and am keeping it at Boons for now.

S

Top Bottom