Old Kishu

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's an old Kishu shimpaku. It was imported over 30 years ago. I purchased it from Suthin earlier this year. It's a great old tree with some nice movement and lots of deadwood. Here's the tree on Suthin's bench.

IMG_0001.jpg

It's a beautiful tree, but had not been styled by Suthin in many years. The pot broke in shipment to Houston, but, otherwise, it's grown well all summer. I've thinned the foliage a bit and cleaned the shari and jins. It hasn't been repotted since 2009, so that will be done in a couple of months. Boon's visiting this week, so we got started on it today.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here it is when we started work earlier in the day.

IMG_0003.JPG

Temporary pot is a chinese import. Don't recognize the chop though. Anyone familiar with this?
IMG_4811.JPG

Anyway, despite the thinning I did, the foliage has grown very dense. It badly needs to be thinned, cleaned and wired. It took the two of us much of the day working together, but we didn't quite finish. We'll get more done tomorrow and I'll complete the wiring later this winter. It's my homework project.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Going to town. Cleaning up juniper foliage involves:

• Removing crotch growth
  • Removing old weak foliage
  • Removing downward growth, and
  • Thinning the branches and foliage.
On the branches you leave, you further thin the foliage. Remove the downward facing shoots and remove some of the shoots on the older woody part of the branch. leave alternating shoots and for every 2-3 horizontal shoots, leave one on the top.

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0025.JPG

Look at the cleaned up branches. Much thinner - light and air can now get to the interior branches.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Also - during fall cleanup you can remove the old bark and expose the red juvenile bark.

IMG_0022.JPG

I really like this tool for the job. Just gently work it underneath a layer of old bark and run it underneath pulling it off one strip at a time. It'll take more time than you think. If you go to deep, you'll expose the white cambium. A little strip here and there is no problem. It'll darken up after a couple of days and it presents no harm to the tree. After you've removed the big stuff, you can go over the bark lightly with fine sandpaper.

Scott

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also - during fall cleanup you can remove the old bark and expose the red juvenile bark.

View attachment 124825

I really like this tool for the job. Just gently work it underneath a layer of old bark and run it underneath pulling it off one strip at a time. It'll take more time than you think. If you go to deep, you'll expose the white cambium. A little strip here and there is no problem. It'll darken up after a couple of days and it presents no harm to the tree. After you've removed the big stuff, you can go over the bark lightly with fine sandpaper.

Scott
Scott, is that your tool? Or Boon's? I can't seem to find one anywhere. I bought a similiar tool from Boon, but it's not as flat and doesn't have the wood handle.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, is that your tool? Or Boon's? I can't seem to find one anywhere. I bought a similiar tool from Boon, but it's not as flat and doesn't have the wood handle.

This is mine - it's a masakuni jin tool. They've discontinued the wood handle ones and have moved to an all steel design.

http://www.californiabonsai.com/shop/bonsai-tools/masakuni-all-steel-carving-set/

I suggest you contact qbonsai on this site - he's been very responsive and has the best price on Masakuni and Kaneshin I've ever seen. And Christmas is coming up...

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have the Kaneshin version.

Christmas? Hmmm... I wonder if Elon Musk has anything I might want???

Why not? You'll need a new Tesla to transport that new collection of Masakuni jin tools. Probably they won't fit in your old Tesla. That seems like good enough reason to me.

Scott

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually, it's the Autopilot that I need! That drive to Rochester and back was rough! The van I rented to haul the trees didn't have cruise control! Geez!!! Not only did I have to steer, I had to press on the pedals!

Not to mention I had to use my wife's TomTom to give me directions.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And of course the wiring. We'll get a good start over the next couple of days and I'll finish it up over the next couple of weeks. Getting started on getting the branch structure under control.

View attachment 124828

View attachment 124833

Scott
Scott, that pot looks like it's developing nice patina! Too bad about that nasty chip on the rim. Do you have the broken off piece? Maybe you could do one of those gold repairs! I'm sure that glue would work!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We judged the tree to be sting and healthy enough for repotting. Also the winters in Houston are reliably mild, so it was ok to do a conservative repot now. We bare rooted abt 1/3 of the rootball. There was a tag indicating it had been repotted last in 2009.

IMG_7023.JPG

Scott

Top Bottom