old kiyohime help

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What should I do with my tree, should I cut back hard and start fresh, or continue to try to get more backbudding, I'm also planning on working the nebari some in spring.My concern is dieback if I cut hard, thanks

Attachments

• 20131209_235909.jpg
    20131209_235909.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 116
  • 20131209_235729.jpg
    20131209_235729.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 132

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
What don't you like about it? Or rather what are your goals with this tree?
Ian

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you should send it to me ;)

Seriously though, I'm interested to hear what Smoke or M5 or Brian, or some of that (maple guru) crowd has to say. :)

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DM, Kiyohime is probably the most sensitive of all the J. maples to hard cutting. Repot in spring and gauge response. If you have a good growth response then it is ok to prune in summer. If the growth doesn't seem strong then wait until next spring. That's the conservative approach and pruning with repotting on the other end of the spectrum.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the advice Gary,, I want to keep the nice wide maple crown, but at the same time induce more backbuding on branches n sub branches, I also have a couple nebari that need cutting back, I know horizontal dominence of these trees and I'm aware of crown dieback when cutting or under watering them, what do you guys think I should do, I know many of you have way more experience at this then I ever will, thanks

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DM, they back-bud well when cut back to an existing shoot and not so well when just cutting branches that have no lower shoots. So if there are no existing shoots to cut back too then cut back to two sets of leaves on that shoot. I don't major prune and repot at the same time

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I looked at the roots today, very healthy,, I believe I can go another season without messing with the roots, so I'm gonna prune like you said n wait on the nebari.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dan, if I didn't love this little tree so much I'd send it to ya:) its one of my favorites

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last year's dieback is apparent on the tree now. Study which cuts produced new growth and also see if a different cut on that same branch might have gotten better results. A good rule of thumb for pruning is to wait until the tree has been dormant for a good while (perhaps Feb or March in your area) so that live tissue doesnt start to recover and then freeze before it hardens off. This is the reason for spring work, not late summer or fall.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All the fine branching have bright red buds, a lot of smaller branches have always had that lighter color, must be the cultivar, I've had this tree for 5 yrs n has always looked like this, but I see what your saying, maybe its the age, not really sure.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If there is no bud when pruning a lot of times it will dieback, sometimes I get lucky, no matter if its spring or late summer lordy, are you a member of balto bonsai?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice tree Mike with good potential! In my opinion I think the design needs to be brought back. Branches look to have quite a bit of fine twigs but too far off the trunk leaving most of the length of the branches devoid of any ramification. As long as this tree is healthy it should back bud with no issues. I would do this gradually and see how it responds rather than a one time and more aggressive pruning.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Mach5, when I originally aquired this tree it looked like hedge material, it has taken awhile just to get the tree to this point, I totally agree and will keep doing the same, hopefully ill get better backbudding.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If there is no bud when pruning a lot of times it will dieback, sometimes I get lucky, no matter if its spring or late summer lordy, are you a member of balto bonsai?
Not Balto, but I know many of them personally. Just went to an auction last weekend put on by BBC. I'm in a club closer to DC.

Top Bottom