Old Leggy Azalea

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Oh oh. You should have had buds within a few weeks of the chop. If the existing leaves at the time of chop dried up, I'd be worried the roots went belly up too. Perhaps too much root work? I wouldn't fertilize now as you need leaves to photosynthesize. I'd hold out hope but not much.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Still green and NOT BUDS! Seems like it is getting close to trash time. Any helpful thoughts?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have one that I chopped up severely, top and bottom. I left a few leaves like you did.
Later, the leaves I left all died off, and I thought it was a goner.
But I waited, and eventually I busted out with major new growth everywhere.
All is good now.
It's been how many months now, though???....might be over....
You are almost at 90 days now, right?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
90 Days tomorrow, some die back but under the bark it is as green as can be. This is frustrating as it was one I really wanted to keep. All of my "junk" plants and trees grow like weeds, the ones I want to keep are always a struggle. Guess I'll have to pray a bit harder and see if it helps. Thanks

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
90 Days tomorrow, some die back but under the bark it is as green as can be. This is frustrating as it was one I really wanted to keep. All of my "junk" plants and trees grow like weeds, the ones I want to keep are always a struggle. Guess I'll have to pray a bit harder and see if it helps. Thanks
If it was mine, I'd keep it in the shade, maybe a tiny bit of morning sun, and keep it moist.
And I wouldn't give up on it till next summer.
I've heard of plants getting beat up, one way or another, and just sitting for an entire year, with no new growth, then coming back from the dead the following year.....like a zombie...or Jesus.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
All of my azaleas died including this one. Makes me feel especially sad as it was out of my late aunt and uncles yard. It wasn't taken care of so really I gave it better conditions but they just didn't make it. Someday I am going to have a great tree turn out to compensate for all of the failures, especially the ones that hurt. Thanks for all of the help.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hear that it didn’t make it. Be sure to do post-mortum on the plant. See if there were any air pockets in the medium. See if the roots started to grow after repotting. ETC. The tree won’t have been a waste of time if you learn something from it.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Although this has been awhile, if I remember right I didn't find anything obvious. I figure it was years of neglect coupled with the stress of the move, then the chop itself although it appeared strong enough for the chop. For some reason I also have problems with azaleas in general.

Top Bottom