Old Leggy Azalea

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is what I am thinking for the drastic chop. Yes, either good or bad I would like your opinion. That is the only way I will learn. I think that if you look at the progress the plant made last year from the first photo to the one last fall with all of the growth that it can handle some work. Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help.

Jamie
DSCF6176 Cut Lines 02-17-2016.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help.

It does look to be in good health. Myself I would chop the right as low as the left and flat top the middle about an inch lower. Pretty certain it will save you a year as you will want to after it starts to throw new growth at you.

Grimmy

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So I just wanted to wait until the weather warmed up and things started growing before I did my hatched job. I took a look at this tree this noon and was thinking that it was about time for it to bloom, did so in March last year while still in ground, what do I see, NOTHING I don't see any buds at all. Could this be a product of digging the tree? Other than that it appears better than ever and I am sure that it has received the best care it has had over the winter in years. What gives? Any ideas?

Jamie

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Azaleas are unpredictable sometimes, especially when they were disturbed. I wont stress. Wait for it. I'm sure it will bud when its ready...;)

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I can see where it can be nice but I am getting the hesitants about cutting. Telling myself, "it will be ok, it will be ok just CUT!"

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can see where it can be nice but I am getting the hesitants about cutting. Telling myself, "it will be ok, it will be ok just CUT!"

3 x 4 foot -

Azalea 1 Last Blooms Drop 3x4 Foot Hedge.JPG

Rip it and chop -

GEDC1459.JPG

Little more trimming before training pot -

GEDC1460.JPG

Training pot 16 1/2 in wide -

GEDC1462.JPG

It survived and as soon a actual Spring gets here it will get some more severe trimming...

Grimmy

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What a man! Dig it up, cut it up and throw it in a pot. Good work. That's a great plant you got there. Out of your yard or did you find it? I think that my plant smells my fear and plays on it. The way it is mine is not a good plant as it has been neglected for too many years. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What a man! Dig it up, cut it up and throw it in a pot. Good work. That's a great plant you got there. Out of your yard or did you find it? I think that my plant smells my fear and plays on it. The way it is mine is not a good plant as it has been neglected for too many years. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie

It is one of a few, did a 200+ pound Yew stump from a 12 foot or so tree last season too. Now back to yours - it is pretty early in the season in my area to do that kind of work. I did that on May 20th to be exact. So perhaps compare our zones and weather beforehand. It just seems to me yours "might" be a little early to work on but I have no clue what your climate is like. I also might add it could be a perfect time if you reduce the root some at the same time - depends on what your plans are...

Grimmy

Last edited:

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Right now we are in the high 60's to 70's daytime and high 40's to high 50's at night. Still chance of cold until about mothers day. Think I should wait until about Mother's day then?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You really should be doing a root reduction at the same time so yes, after any danger of frost, here it is an unusual year with snow predicted Saturday, program varies with location ;)

Grimmy

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I will wait another couple of weeks, as said above still hesitating anyway. John suggested leaving the roots for another year or two since I dug and disturbed them once. Evidently thought would be too soon? Don't know. Thanks for the help.

Jamie

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will wait another couple of weeks, as said above still hesitating anyway. John suggested leaving the roots for another year or two since I dug and disturbed them once. Evidently thought would be too soon? Don't know. Thanks for the help.

Jamie

I did not see John post here and honest I can only show you and tell you what works for me.

Grimmy

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well I finally got up some nerve and cut away.
20160515_144142_001.jpg 20160515_144217.jpg 20160515_144231.jpg 20160515_145548.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here are some more of the results
20160515_145605.jpg 20160515_153430.jpg 20160515_155828_001.jpg

I wasn't going to do any root work at this time but when I got it out of the pot the original soil was like concrete and just putting that into a pot with new soil around it wouldn't work at all. So I washed the existing soil away the best I could, did some minor trimming to fit to the pot and in it goes. For my first major azalea trim I think that it looks ok. As per the above photo I still will have some major root work to do but want to get plant going good before I attempt that. Thanks

Jamie

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks good! I think there is some interest in the trunk, the branches are a decent size and length... I would like to see more variance in their heights though. One of the larger ones in the middle should be the tallest probably... You can whittle them down a bit and pic the right places once it buds out with new growth!

Good job!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was so excited to get something done that I didn't even notice that. Guess I need to pay better attention. Thanks for your help. Jamie

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As of today there still are not any buds. I'm starting to get concerned . How long should it be? Our weather has turned unseasonably cool.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
As long as you still have a few green leaves on the couple branches you left, it will pull through. It can take up to 6 weeks to respond, sometimes more through usually in 2 weeks you should see buds starting. Weather is everything. Cool weather can stall things out. Just relax, and wait it out. If it hasn't done anything by the end of July, you might have a problem. :rolleyes:

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Still no new buds. The existing leaves died off, scratch the bark and there is green and there appears to be small attempts at buds but nothing definite. I have been watering with Miracid about once a week. Would it help to maybe step that up a bit? Still concerned but not quite ready to throw it away. Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Jamie

Top Bottom