OLD NC Honeysuckle love this vine.

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
I dug this up in spring and know its a vine and not a classic structure but I love honeysuckle I just stopped cutting and let it bloom.

Attachments

• IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 79

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good for you! Really has a nice shape on the trunk,Maybe can go with a loose weeping form and let it bloom.

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
yes its pretty big for vine 2.5" w I just let it grow this year next year I will have fun with it.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the trunk. The striations look similar to the ones on the potentilla I recently picked up. Do they only bloom if you don't prune?

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
yes you have to let them run to flower but if you prune and allow to run in late summer it has short runners

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for sharing Paul. These are certainly all over NC, especially near old farmsteads. Guess I need to clean my glasses so I can find one as well. Keep us informed as this develops.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Marvelous! I wasn't into bonsai at the time, but I've missed out on two awesome specimens at prev. places I've lived? A huge bougainvillea in Houston, and a huge honeysuckle in Ca. Darn, Darn, Darn! ;))

Thanks for sharing Paul!

Chris

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Wow that is a wonderful, great honeysuckle. We seldom get them that thick this far north.

I once tried to take a one inch thick vine and get it to grow out and get thicker. After 5+ years I abandoned the project, they do not thicken very quick at all. A trunk like the one you have must have come from a vine that was over 50 feet long. A wonderful find.

Honeysuckle are great, but for best results you should look for a collectable vine with all the caliper you need, if it is not as thick as your design calls for, no amount of growing in a pot will thicken them up. (well maybe there are ways to do it, but it is really difficult to get them to add caliper).

Since many areas list it as an invasive species, it usually is not hard to get permission to dig one up should you find a good one.

Top Bottom