Old needles dying on scots pine - how did I screw up?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Vance I wired the tree the autumn before the problems began. After cultivating it so long without problems I was feeling somewhat confident so pruned it back a bit more than I would have previously, but always left new growth on all the branches. The wiring itself was just refinement with no major bending, all of which had been done years earlier.

Anyway the latest update is not good as it continues its decline and there is no foliage left now that is not brown or gray. I love developing pines with their slow but consistent march forward year after year, but not when you have to watch their slow descent into death for no apparent reason. Deciduous at least are quick about it.

Reaction score
Just read this thread from the start. I think the root of the problem is dried out roots in fall/early winter 2017. The full repot is good so you have cleaned sick roots and put in fresh soil. BUT it will set the health of the tree back and you will have to wait at least 2 years before it is vigorous again. HBR is the safer way to go. Feed gentle, water carefully. It is not impossible that the top is lost. Spray for fungus to be sure. I would spray for spider mites too. But don't work the tree for the next years. If the growth is better this year than last year, i think it will turn out ok. If it dies it will most likely be after the first hot spell this year. Fingers crossed. PS. Even without the top it still is a nice tree.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Just read this thread from the start. I think the root of the problem is dried out roots in fall/early winter 2017. The full repot is good so you have cleaned sick roots and put in fresh soil. BUT it will set the health of the tree back and you will have to wait at least 2 years before it is vigorous again. HBR is the safer way to go. Feed gentle, water carefully. It is not impossible that the top is lost. Spray for fungus to be sure. I would spray for spider mites too. But don't work the tree for the next years. If the growth is better this year than last year, i think it will turn out ok. If it dies it will most likely be after the first hot spell this year. Fingers crossed. PS. Even without the top it still is a nice tree.
Thank you for the input! I’m pretty sure this is now an ex-tree. I could have raised the right facing portion of the second branch to make a new apex very effectively if it had survived. I love Scots pines but probably won’t try another soon.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are pics fwiw. I don’t think fully 100% of old needles are dead, but very nearly. Looking at the roots I don’t see any signs of growth there but it may be too early yet. It is not particularly root bound btw, and there didn’t seem to be any problems with them. Most are nearer the bottom of the pot as you would expect and may not have been affected by the dryness.
View attachment 183380View attachment 183381View attachment 183382
I reread the thread, and my eye caught on this wiring error:

541539CE-0EFA-4621-B75B-49FC6BF1EEC7.jpeg

See how above the fork, the wire crosses over like this: \ And after the fork, it crosses over like this: /

That occurred because you changed direction of your wiring when you came to that branch, and wrapped around the branch. This creates a weak spot on the wired branch.

vienna1201

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi there, I read the whole thread as I love scot's pine as well. I'm just interested: did your tree make it in the end or did it die?

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Ah no sadly this tree is long dead. I continue to improve my skills however and I’m having good success with jbp currently. I’m looking around for another Scots to work on.

Top Bottom