Old nursery juniper

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
So this one has been neglected for quite some time. It doesn’t have the greatest root ball and it’s very spindly. What’s the first steps I should take besides cleaning out the under growth? 0435BAA4-6248-493C-8814-AB67840EAF3E.jpegF21DDE80-6949-4DB2-969F-E06334776677.jpeg4DB69F17-1291-4E4A-9B69-BE4973DCB0EB.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That ....knob end....needs to be seen properly to make the right decisions.

It could have the only taper, or knob out. Which would make a drastic change in the entire decision making process for me.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Nice Juni!

I, also, reacted with a “whaaa?” at the leaf at first glance. 😁

Ooooh there’s a FEW really interesting “ways to go” from a design standpoint.

Pending decisions of this character often FORCE indecisiveness.

I wish you (and your plant) the best.. whichever way you end up leaning.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Nice Juni!

I, also, reacted with a “whaaa?” at the leaf at first glance. 😁

Ooooh there’s a FEW really interesting “ways to go” from a design standpoint.

Pending decisions of this character often FORCE indecisiveness.

I wish you (and your plant) the best.. whichever way you end up leaning.

Well I’d like to get your take

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Should I go ahead and report it and put some fish emulsion and kelp on it to get its feet back under it ? Not much I can do until it gets some more compact growth going. Or am I wrong ?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Should I go ahead and report it and put some fish emulsion and kelp on it to get its feet back under it ? Not much I can do until it gets some more compact growth going. Or am I wrong ?

This sounds like a great plan! Safer is normally never worse..

If you are concerned about him/her “standing on its own legs”... recovery time is probably wise. (However, I am not versed with Junipers)..

I remember when seeking (vaguely) similar information regarding one of mine (definitely not THIS cool... like at ALL... embarrassing to bring it up in THIS trees thread), this was the basic information i was given. (Regarding cleaning out, first steps on the piece of nursery material)

Someone with more applicable wisdom will be able to confirm/deny this.

Aaaand, “Hell yeah, Fish Emulsion”

:)

Squirrel7t7

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's this years secret santa gift sorted.👍 I know a few knob polishers at work.haha

Seriously tho..i thought "Knub" was the politically correct Bonsai official term?..Like Knub cutters.
or is that just marketing in Europe to avoid the innuendo..hmm

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Knob end" and "Knob out" have totally different meanings round our way.... 😆

I was just asking, I think it was @ConorDash about knob end! Lol, because the bikers in the UK use it a lot on Motomadness!

I swear to God I thought he meant Polish, like sausage, then you got to talking about Santa, and I was sure he meant Sausage cuz I asked Santa for Polish sausage one year when i was ....young enough to believe in Santa still!

Apologies @JesusFreak 🙃🙏🤦🏽‍♀️

Sorce

Squirrel7t7

Yamadori
Reaction score
So this one has been neglected for quite some time. It doesn’t have the greatest root ball and it’s very spindly. What’s the first steps I should take besides cleaning out the under growth? View attachment 311873View attachment 311874View attachment 311875
Do you know what species of juniper it is?..I have a squamata or blue star juniper that looks similar. Mine is really slow growing and i wouldn't advise taking a lot of foliage away at the same time as major root work or repotting. I would do one or the other this year then wait until next spring. I made that mistake and the tree just stagnated and didnt do anything for months after. I lost a couple of branches and the needles lost that deep green/blue healthy colour..
its picked up now but i thought it wasn't going to make it at one point.

Mine also had a small rootball so im guessing its common to the species...maybe repotting into something smaller then waiting a few months before styling could be an option?

Squirrel7t7

Yamadori
Reaction score
I was just asking, I think it was @ConorDash about knob end! Lol, because the bikers in the UK use it a lot on Motomadness!

I swear to God I thought he meant Polish, like sausage, then you got to talking about Santa, and I was sure he meant Sausage cuz I asked Santa for Polish sausage one year when i was ....young enough to believe in Santa still!

Sorce
Yeah im pretty sure they mean Polish as in..shoe shine polish...haha

Im trying to keep this clean but your not helping bringing sausages into the equation

Squirrel7t7

Yamadori
Reaction score

Sorce
They use it in real life too when you cut them up at a junction...

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pretty sure it’s proc nana. I just cleaned it up a tad and put it in a grow pot. Will let it get healthy and do some major work come spring
...do we have to wait till Spring to see it, or hear any of the details like root work, soil...:)
or was that back post #5 end of June?

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
0123662B-EA88-40C8-BECD-F295888F08CB.jpeg8E91F0D9-B3EB-4F4F-A7A3-0082CD704204.jpeg I didn’t do much to the roots. Ive heard juniper roots don’t like to be disturbed that much. I also want to have some nice Jin features so I’m trying to think about that in the process as well.

Top Bottom