Old oak style Boxwood

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Old Oak style boxwood. I am trying to get some styling advice on this old oak style boxwood I’ve had for a few years. I’m wondering if I should remove the middle trunk and just keep it to two main trunks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 149

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would be inclined to day yes, too. However, if you are going for the really natural look, the Walter Pall look, then you might leave it. I swear I saw an oak just like this in my neighborhood the other day. It had the giant middle shoot, and a left and right branch just like yours. The middle shoot was bigger than the other branches I believe. I'll see if I can find it again and take a photo.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be inclined to day yes, too. However, if you are going for the really natural look, the Walter Pall look, then you might leave it. I swear I saw an oak just like this in my neighborhood the other day. It had the giant middle shoot, and a left and right branch just like yours. The middle shoot was bigger than the other branches I believe. I'll see if I can find it again and take a photo.
I agree with this but the design options are a lot greater with that trunk gone. This is my motive for wanting it gone. I see something else in there that will take yeas to develop.

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree with this but the design options are a lot greater with that trunk gone. This is my motive for wanting it gone. I see something else in there that will take yeas to develop.
Yeah, I’ll probably remove it. The biggest issue I see is that typically the central leader should be the dominant one. However, in this case, it’s much smaller and subordinate to the other two, which creates an imbalanced look.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I wouldnt remove the middle. also the central trunk doesnt need to be the dominant one in an asymmetrical design. you could use one of the thicker ones as highest point of canopy.
I wouldnt remove the central one because it has some movement and splits in a good place, if it was ugly with no movement i may consider removing.
you also create a large gap.

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I was thinking it already wants to be a symmetrical design. If asymmetrical, then I need to reduce the side so my largest leader becomes the dominant one and high point, no?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’d keep the middle branch. I wouldn’t like the slingshot two-branching left without it. That middle gap would bug me. I’m not really sure what I’d do with the tree though. I’m rambling. Examining the tree in person, like you are doing, will provide a better solution.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was thinking it already wants to be a symmetrical design. If asymmetrical, then I need to reduce the side so my largest leader becomes the dominant one and high point, no?
could do.
have you tried using a piece of tissue to remove the trunk, or reduce the height of others? This is what I do... gives you an idea of how things can look rather than having peeps guess for you😊

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would not remove the branch. As others have said, you will be left with a slingshot and a large gap. To develop the oak-feel, you need these multiple secondary trunks.

What I would do, though, is cut back hard on all of these "trunks", to chase back the foliage and get some backbudding closer inside. The primary branches have very straight lines and I think the tree will look more powerful with a smaller silhouette given the size of the base.
Screenshot_20230304-112659~3.png

Where I drew the green line is where I think your tree is. The red lines are possible chop points.

I know this seems drastic, but this will result in a much nicer tree down the road. Just a suggestion.

Cory

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would not remove the branch. As others have said, you will be left with a slingshot and a large gap. To develop the oak-feel, you need these multiple secondary trunks.

What I would do, though, is cut back hard on all of these "trunks", to chase back the foliage and get some backbudding closer inside. The primary branches have very straight lines and I think the tree will look more powerful with a smaller silhouette given the size of the base.
View attachment 475261

Where I drew the green line is where I think your tree is. The red lines are possible chop points.

I know this seems drastic, but this will result in a much nicer tree down the road. Just a suggestion.

Cory
Thats a good start, I would want to go even harder but Ive no idea how this species reacts or back buds.

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

View attachment 475261

Cory
Ok, leaving it. The red lines are pretty much where I did the first major pruning like 5 years ago. Boxwood will backbud fairly well on old wood but I think a few leaves need to be left on the branch. Will prune back again to get more growth inside. Thanks for the input

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Boxwoods can backbud on old wood but most people believe you need to leave some green on them to keep the sap flowing to that particular branch. I tend to believe this is true, at least, in my experience.

Here's a link to a thread documenting a bunch of Boxwoods I collected from an old hedge at our previous house. I cut them back pretty ruthlessly but I tried to leave some green on them.

Thread 'Collected Boxwoods' https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/collected-boxwoods.5017/

Here's my Oak Style Box I've been working on for about 11 years or so.

Screenshot_20230304-184355~2.png

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much better. You've still got two long, straight, vertical segments there in the middle. If you get back budding low on those, I'd cut those back later.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well done. Like Brian said, when/if you get backbudding, you can cut back further. This can end up being a nice tree.

Over this next season, feed it well with a balanced fertilizer. Make it happy and it will backbud more readily.

Top Bottom