Old Pond Cypress (Taxodium Ascendens)

Hurstan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Here's some pictures of a large pond cypress that I worked on a bit today. The first picture is before, the second picture is after. I opened up the center area of the tree to expose a large jin that still needs to be treated with lime sulfur. I also removed part of the flat top that died and trimmed some smaller branches that were growing back toward the tree.

Attachments

• 20150928_112443.jpg
    20150928_112443.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20150928_115839.jpg
    20150928_115839.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 96

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree!! If it were mine I would be working toward a much more compact image....shorter branches with more dense foliage closer to the trunk. As it is now, it looks to me as if it is just being allowed to grow unchecked.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice.
Wicked. Right wicked.

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Woah! That is a nice one for sure. It needs refined but it is a nice one for sure. Johng is your go-to guy for this one.

Hurstan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
It has been growing unchecked while it was recovering from being harvested from a swamp. The design I'm going for is the standard flat top that pond/bald cypress develop in swamps. I think the top is well done but I agree about the middle being too far out. Luckily these trees produce buds everywhere. Currently I'm waiting for spring to chop the longer branches back and repot it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ALL the current branches should be reduced by at least half two thirds would be even better. It's far too long and lanky. If you try to work it into a flattop design using the current branching it will just look odd.

Flattops require really hard pruning to keep them in shape.

Top Bottom