Old salon chair as a turntable

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Has anyone tried turning an old salon chair into a turntable to work on their trees?

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fun fact about Shinjuku and Mrs. Shinjuku: We own a hair salon.

In general, I’d say that it’s not worth the effort, but your mileage may vary. I see a few challenges:
You’ll have to remove the back, the foot rest, and the sides/arms if the chair has them. That’s not a problem.
The seat is soft, so you’ll have to remove it so that it would have a hard, flat surface to work on. I guess you could replace the seat with a bolted-on piece of plywood.
If it still works, the hydrolic lift might not make the “table” high enough to work on comfortably if you’re seated in a chair. It might work if you sit in a very low chair.
The kicker is that there’s no way to lock the chair in one position. Salon chairs are designed to rotate around very freely.

I’m not saying that a handy and creative person couldn’t find a “right” chair and somehow make it work. I’m just saying that for most of us, it’s probably easier and more practical to build a Bonsai turntable using something else.

With that said, if you’re up to the challenge, I’ve got 2 old salon chairs that I’d love for you to pick up for cheap. :)

Last edited:

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Has anyone tried turning an old salon chair into a turntable to work on their trees?
I made one from a new chair base. I posted it in this thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/diy-hydraulic-turntable.31769/
The base cost $165 with free shipping from Minerva Beauty Supply. In the same thread, @Adair M and @Riversedgebonsai talked about making them from used chairs. I could never find suitable used ones.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The kicker is that there’s no way to lock the chair in one position. Salon chairs are designed to rotate around very freely.
When the foot pedal on my turntable is lifted to the "up" position, the table locks and can't rotate (same as any of the turntables I've worked on at my classes). The working height can be adjusted to a comfortable position for most trees. Some people like to have an extension on the post that raises the working height.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When the foot pedal on my turntable is lifted to the "up" position, the table locks and can't rotate.

I was just thinking to myself how nice it would be for my salon chairs to have this feature. Thanks for the tip - maybe I need to buy new chairs!

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fun fact about Shinjuku and Mrs. Shinjuku: We own a hair salon.

In general, I’d say that it’s not worth the effort, but your mileage may vary. I see a few challenges:
You’ll have to remove the back, the foot rest, and the sides/arms if the chair has them. That’s not a problem.
The seat is soft, so you’ll have to remove it so that it would have a hard, flat surface to work on. I guess you could replace the seat with a bolted-on piece of plywood.
If it still works, the hydrolic lift might not make the “table” high enough to work on comfortably if you’re seated in a chair. It might work if you sit in a very low chair.

I’m not saying that a handy and creative person couldn’t find a “right” chair and somehow make it work. I’m just saying that for most of us, it’s probably easier and more practical to build a Bonsai turntable using something else.

With that said, if you’re up to the challenge, I’ve got 2 old salon chairs that I’d love for you to pick up for cheap. :)
Well I don't think I'll be out in California anytime soon being that I live in Tennessee lol. Thanks tho.

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When the foot pedal on my turntable is lifted to the "up" position, the table locks and can't rotate (same as any of the turntables I've worked on at my classes). The working height can be adjusted to a comfortable position for most trees. Some people like to have an extension on the post that raises the working height.
The base you bought looks like the base of the chair that I may be getting tomorrow from a salon. The lady told me that she would give it to me when she gets back into town. Thanks for the link to your post.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Salon chairs make GREAT bonsai work tables! No, they don’t lock, but they have enough inertia that they take a bit of effort to turn.

I prefer them to a lot of the purpose built bonsai work stands! (Which are often too easy to tip over!)

The primary drawback is they are heavy and not so easy to move around.

If you need more height, a milk crate works great!

Pair one of these with a height adjustable office workstation chair, and life is good!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do not have one but several do. Ryan Neil uses one on some Live stream lessons;). Personally do not have $$ or space for one. Maybe someday:(.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Salon chairs make GREAT bonsai work tables! No, they don’t lock, but they have enough inertia that they take a bit of effort to turn.

I prefer them to a lot of the purpose built bonsai work stands! (Which are often too easy to tip over!)

The primary drawback is they are heavy and not so easy to move around.

If you need more height, a milk crate works great!

Pair one of these with a height adjustable office workstation chair, and life is good!
It depends;) all the ones i have converted do lock when the foot pedal is pushed up. They also tend to have the pedestal bases. The term salon chair is somewhat vague in my experience with the more modern ones tending to be lighter duty with fewer features.
For moving them around i find the easiest is to tip them on the circular base and roll to the new position. And the crates are great for extra height, also for examining all planting angles securely without wood blocks. I do advise bungee cords on the crates though to keep them from slipping on the turntable top and balancing the tree at various angles.

Last edited:

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got one and use it regularly. I watched craigslist for a couple months, ended up finding one for $40.00. Nice heavy round base.

I pulled off the chair portion, it was just a handful of screws. Bought a sheet of 3/4" plywood and cut out two 30" +/- circles with a jig saw. I installed a hinge between them so I could tilt the top for styling. See the wedge in between the panels to hold the tree at an angle. It's a little odd looking, but it really works well. On the top I glued a chunk of old yoga mat from the Mrs.

The hardest part was probably making the extending block to attach to the chair bracket. The bracket itself is a metal square, mounted at an angle. Getting the angle right on the cut 4x4 post was a little tricky to ensure that the table sat flat.

It's not as nice as a retail table, but I got it done for less than $75.00. Use it for everything. This is the best photo I've got handy. I was doing big bending on a large pine, hence the tiedowns.

20181008_082757.jpg

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a very clever, useful idea that we should all incorporate into our tops!
CW

It works pretty well. You need a really strong tight hinge to make it happen if you work on larger material. I used an industrial door hinge.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah, the top turned out nicer than I was expecting. Almost too nice to get scuffed up but that’s what it is made for.

Jangles10

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got one and use it regularly. I watched craigslist for a couple months, ended up finding one for $40.00. Nice heavy round base.

I pulled off the chair portion, it was just a handful of screws. Bought a sheet of 3/4" plywood and cut out two 30" +/- circles with a jig saw. I installed a hinge between them so I could tilt the top for styling. See the wedge in between the panels to hold the tree at an angle. It's a little odd looking, but it really works well. On the top I glued a chunk of old yoga mat from the Mrs.

The hardest part was probably making the extending block to attach to the chair bracket. The bracket itself is a metal square, mounted at an angle. Getting the angle right on the cut 4x4 post was a little tricky to ensure that the table sat flat.

It's not as nice as a retail table, but I got it done for less than $75.00. Use it for everything. This is the best photo I've got handy. I was doing big bending on a large pine, hence the tiedowns.

View attachment 212667
Do you think you could take a picture of where you put the hinges? This is exactly the how i want to set mine up.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thought i would add some details i have worked out for attaching the table tops. just in case others want some ideas. I have over the years modified the approach to combat warp and stability.
The top is a 22 inch circle of 1 1/4 inch sapele hardwood, the under base is a 15 inch circle of sapele hardwood. Because the pieces ar joined lengthwise to get the proper width, i have mounted the top to the under base at a cross section for strength. The joints are at 90 degree angles. I have cut an angled board to distribute the weight evenly and balance the top. The metal support from the stand is usually angled for the original chair support. Lag screws and washer used to attach the top to the metal support frame.
The top is finished with polyurethane for durability. I thin the first coat by 10% to use as a sealer and penetrate the wood. Important to seal all sides to prevent warp. Also i screw and glue the circular under base to the top for extra rigidity and weight distribution. The finish is nine thin coats of polyurethane. ( wet sanded between every three coats and buffed out at the end) here are a couple of pictures to make sense out of my ramblings. One approach if someone wants to try!

Attachments

• IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 68

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quite proud that this came together; thanks to all on this thread for the ideas.

One thing I’ve enjoyed with this hobby is the “creative engineering” - boxes, a cage I made for trees, manipulating containers - all projects that I wouldn’t have tried if not for bonsai. Fun.

Salon chair - estate sale shop nearby $15
End/coffee table - “ “ $20
4x4 - in stock already
Some hardware $10

Turned out great, very stable, nearly level (lol) excited to get to work now! No fancy tilting functionality but I expect this will not be my last attempt.

Attachments

• 45B22F28-A018-4933-BD4A-132B997103E1.jpeg
    45B22F28-A018-4933-BD4A-132B997103E1.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 51
  • B234D1D9-6513-4DF7-A533-80268C5E2444.jpeg
    B234D1D9-6513-4DF7-A533-80268C5E2444.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom