Old san jose juniper

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Attila Soos.......lol..Not even close. This tree was purchased as semi trained nursery stock in a grow pot from New England Bonsai Gardens about 3 1/2 - 4 months ago. I had been loosely following the tree progress for about a year at the nursery. I first noticed it about a year and a half ago at the nursery. It looked good, but I passed on it. Then about 6-8 months later, the tree was not doing that good and it's health was declining. However, this spring, the tree was still at the nursery and pushing some new buds. There was this glimpse of hope that the tree might be ok that prompted me to by it.

I posted this tree on Bonsai talk (when it existed) about. This tree was refined by me.

Here is a pic of the tree as purchased and before refinement.

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 006.jpg
    pictures2 006.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 22

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s.. I am honored that you thought for a second that this was a tree that Marco or Walter worked on...lol... I don't know how they would feel about it though.......lol...

Here is another pic of it after refinement.

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 005.jpg
    pictures2 005.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 22

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a demo a while ago at the Descanso, I am pretty sure that Walter was doing it.
We had about 5 junipers, one of them looked exactly like yours. But now I remember that they were the Shimpaku variety. I even did a drawing of it, for some article, but I never published it. I was looking for the drawing to show it to you, but I can't find it. I would say that the resemblance is remarcably close.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
p.s.. I am honored that you thought for a second that this was a tree that Marco or Walter worked on...lol... I don't know how they would feel about it though.......lol...

Here is another pic of it after refinement.

Rob

Good job!!!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
With some trees I like a long line and sparse foliage to contribute to the appearance of age. This San Jose could be hanging off a shear cliff.
The procumbens nana I'm posting has a long line, but plenty of foliage. A younger appearance.

Cool... thats all I needed to hear :)

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Mike-

I might try a big bend like this using raffia and carving out the underside of the current appex/branch. I might also change the planting angle and tilt the trunk to the right. Sorry for the terrible vert, but hopefully you can get the gist. Although I think it's a cool tree as is, definitely different, but still cool.

Attachments

• Mike Juniper3.JPG
    Mike Juniper3.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 17
  • mike 4.JPG
    mike 4.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 16

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the complement Mike. Mine is also a procumbens....

Attila...I would really liek to see the drawing you made from the unpublished article..

Rob

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the complement Mike. Mine is also a procumbens....

Attila...I would really liek to see the drawing you made from the unpublished article..

Rob

Too bad BonsaiTalk is down, I think we had some pictures from that Walter Pall demo. I think I was using one of those pictures for my sketch. I'm afraid I haven't kept it..

Top Bottom