Oldest Ponderosa bonsai

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know of the oldest (in training) ponderosa pine bonsai ? I am wondering if there any that have been in training for a long time and what they look like. Can anyone help with some info or pics ? I guess I have never seen a very refined Ponderosa bonsai. Help, anyone ? thx.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Dave,

Not sure about the "oldest", but here are some ponderosas that might give you some ideas:

http://www.whitebearbonsai.com/

Also, take a look at Walter Pall's website. He owns a number of ponderosas, and also has pictures on his website of some of Jackel's trees, which are under "American trees".

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one:

http://www.bonsai-nbf.org/site/whats_new_archive4.html

was collected in 1976, which is pretty early for bonsai in the US, let alone collected native bonsai.

Does anyone know of the oldest (in training) ponderosa pine bonsai ? I am wondering if there any that have been in training for a long time and what they look like. Can anyone help with some info or pics ? I guess I have never seen a very refined Ponderosa bonsai. Help, anyone ? thx.

Dave,did you know how large the can of worms is that you just opened?:D There are so many discussions about "refined" Ponderosa's they are hard to keep up with. A good question is, What do you consider refined? The one at the national collection has been in training over 30 years. To me it doesn't look at all refined. Is it technique oriented or genetics or both or neither. It's large and gorgeous but refined? Ponderosa have very crude buds with not much finesse so do you accept them for what they are? Damn it, I hate it when I get these itches :D
Wood

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"To me it doesn't look at all refined."

It's not. That's what gives it its charm...

I'd agree that this is a complicated question that goes to the "pile of green doughnuts or unkempt mess?" design question that collected trees of all species face when dug from their homes. "Refining" a Ponderosa until it looks like a black pine is similar to grafting shimpaku onto Rocky Mountain Juniper trunks...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Here's one developed by Colin Lewis, I bought it this winter, notice the short needles, they are natural and have not been cut.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• FatPonderosa1.JPG
    FatPonderosa1.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gary, that is exactly why I asked the question. I know what my opinion is, but wonder what others have thought on this subject. Thanks for the replies.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Here's another I bought from Colin, about 18" high, two fronts.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• PonderosaFront.JPG
    PonderosaFront.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 64
  • PonderosaBack.JPG
    PonderosaBack.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 60

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
The way Dave has posed the question - I believe is that in the areas of the US where Ponderosa's have been collected [such as the Rocky Mountains in and around Colorado] as well as the Pacific Northwest - what are examples of older collected Ponderosa's. From my own reading and limited research - there are example's of collected Ponderosa's from the 1950's and 1960's in and around the Denver Colorado area. You can see these examples from time to time in the Rocky Mountain Bonsai Society Newsletter. Bob Kataoka's trees are occassionally highlighted. You will have to go thru the older copies on line to find these special trees. There is usually a few photos - but nothing detailed or anything about the development. The other track would be to focus on collectors themselves - these people often have trees they have collected or trees they may have inheritied from friends, older club members etc. I think there are examples out there - but you will have to do some research and legwork to really find examples. You should check out Walter Pall's website and blog to see how he works with Ponderosa's as well.....good luck ..Tom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is a very old Rocky Mountain juniper... :D (edit*- click a few pages through and you find them)

There are trees just as old as those other places. We have them at Elandan Gardens as well.

V

Last edited:

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey V, would you or Dan happen to have any shots?
Wood

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's my favorite... and at the end of the photos is the write-up that went with it.

PonderosaDan.jpg

Ponderosa2.jpg

Ponderosa3.jpg

Ponderosa4.jpg

The Wyoming Giant:
Some trees are beyond words. To see this tree, and lay your hand into the space of the natural deadwood, takes away your words. It speaks instead to your soul, and everything you love about bonsai.
It took three men to carry out this grandmother tree. When it was brought home, the only thing large enough to hold it, or suitable for it’s stature and shape, was a large rock with a natural basin. But as lovely as it is, eventually Daniel Robinson will want to move it into a container. To begin that process, the long line of the ground level trunk will need to be reduced. This will be started by a large portion of the bark on the lower end of the trunk line being removed. This will allow that area to die back, and give it time to push more roots closer to the center line of the trunk.
No one could do it with more style than Daniel. So out comes the chainsaw, and he sets about to removing the bark in what he calls an “expeditious manner”. The initial work took about 5 minutes with the chainsaw. But as with so many collected trees, it will take years to accomplish his goal. We can only wait, and appreciate this grand Wyoming giant as it is right now. All great trees take time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To Daniel's credit, or his insanity... there was a distance he carried the tree alone... just because he could. That man has guns. lol

V

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Ms Vic, you need to come down to see what LARGE OLD ponderosa are really about :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh I know you have some monsters Jason... :)

Daniel has, and has had, his fair share of ponderosa mammoths. But I have no doubt I would fall quite in love with many of the ones Randy has collected as well. :) There can be no doubt that he is particularly gifted in this vein as well.

V

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vic, are those crossing roots i see? :eek: Looks like this one is destined for the burn pile:p:D:rolleyes:

Dave

Top Bottom