Olea Europaea ‘SanFernando’ strange bumps?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look like galls. Usually formed by wasps but could be fungal. I would remove one and cut it open to see what you can find.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will do but if something comes out and attaches to my face, you will have to live with it.

View attachment 458864
Glad you survived it.
It is too difficult for me to see those pictures clearly with these old eyes.
A wasp gall usually has a hollow. I'm not seeing it. Does the material removed have growth rings? Like a plant?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does not look like wasp gall. I am just speculating now that it is a virus. But I sure hope somebody else with an idea comes forward.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Does not look like wasp gall. I am just speculating now that it is a virus. But I sure hope somebody else with an idea comes forward.
Just curious, do you have an olive tree and if so, do you leave it out during winter? I bring mine inside under an LED array with a humidifier to avoid our frosts here.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious, do you have an olive tree and if so, do you leave it out during winter? I bring mine inside under an LED array with a humidifier to avoid our frosts here.
I do not, but if I did it would be inside under lights now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yes usually they flower on young branches but who knows, maybe its a mutation that allows them to flower from the trunk like Jaboticaba 😱

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Its probably olive-knot disease, a bacterial disease.
Hmmm, never heard of it. Going to remove bumpies and spray down tomorrow. Hopefully that works. Thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its probably olive-knot disease, a bacterial disease.
I knew someone would figure this out. I am always thrilled when it is a seedling with the answers.

Top Bottom