Oleg's 6 yr. JBP contest entry

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I just saw Pitoon's entry dated July 5th so I'm very late but I'm in. I only saw the contest this past winter, going through threads. It's a good fit really being a year behind, I had learned a lot before I started, and I have good warning of what I'll need to be doing.

There was a delay in getting the seeds (over the internet through TreeHelp), I don't know if they were sourced here or the States. I did 4 kinds; Scot's, JBP, JRP, JWPs. I did what was instructed but scarified 48 hrs in cold water, each said to sow in the fall for spring germination, I did not I started the Scot's and the JWP on Feb. 24, 2019. Stratification was done in new, good quality sphagnum moss wrung out in a fist with all I had. Start times varied according to stratification times: 30 days cold JRP, 60 days cold for JBP, 90 days cold for the Scots and 60 days warm followed by 90 days cold for JWP(somewhere in July?). All were sown in sifted DE and pine bark then watered daily.

SAID GOT FLOATERS GERMINATED SEEDLINGS CUTTINGS
Scot's 60 95 0 27 16 11
(10 IN THE BAG)
JBP 50 61 16 19 11 8

JRP 60 107 3 44 29 15

JBP

JRP

SCOT's

Tray of cuttings

I'd like to ask how long do I wait for rooting? After cutting they went into the shade @ 85 F 100% humidity but then I put them on a rooting mat and it went to 95 F, I thought maybe too hot so out they went except the next few days were around 90 F so I put them in an enclosure with 2 fluorescent growlight tubes 85 F.

Do you think I fried em? I looked at a JBP and the stem looked a little browned at the bottom and there are a couple of JBP (only) that have a few brown needles that weren't there before. I re-cut it, powdered and replaced it but the substrate is proving very light I don't know if they are getting enough wet contact. Originally I thought the anchor was not a real problem in that once in the dome you don't really have to be watered therefore no disturbance (unless you want to peak that is). Wondering about the density (Bonsai tonight used a sand sleeve) and also how dry is too dry and how wet is too wet?

Thanks for reading
(sorry I see in the preview that my chart is AFdU and I don't know how to fix it)

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Replacement table.

SaidGotFloatersGerminatedSeedlingsCuttings
Scot's60950271611
JBP50611619118
JRP601073442915

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How long did it take for your JBP to germinate doing 60days?

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
They were the last @ about 3 weeks + after sowing.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They were the last @ about 3 weeks + after sowing.

Ok, thanks. Looks like I have roughly another 2 weeks before I see anything come out of the sand for me.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Good luck! I have JWP coming out of the fridge this week, 5 months in moss, surprised to read that! As I was already going through the motions, I thought I'd try, don't know what I'll do for the winter yet.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good luck! I have JWP coming out of the fridge this week, 5 months in moss, surprised to read that! As I was already going through the motions, I thought I'd try, don't know what I'll do for the winter yet.
Where'd you source the jwp? I've been really wanting to try some

Top Bottom