Olive #2

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like it. I sure regret not thinking ahead when I started my "stick" years ago.
It has developed a nice nebari but I don't like (NOW) the layered look.

example.jpg

Now I'm going to go out and look closer at it and see if I can "see" any corrective ideas. :(

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it. I sure regret not thinking ahead when I started my "stick" years ago.
It has developed a nice nebari but I don't like (NOW) the layered look.

View attachment 212787

Now I'm going to go out and look closer at it and see if I can "see" any corrective ideas. :(

Mike, in my opinion your tree seems overwhelmed with branches. There are so many branches it is hard to notice the trunk, and they make the trunk look smaller as well. I think if you removed about half those branches and maybe even shorten some, you could really open it up and show off that trunk and it’s movement. There is potential there, it’s just kind of buried right now as I see it.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I agree completely. I was just looking at it. That other pic is 3 years younger. It's even DENSER now.
I made these pix to mess with and see if I can figure out what to chop away.
Any posters, please feel free to virt the pix as suggestions. I'd like to see more than what I do.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20181009_084642.jpg
    IMG_20181009_084642.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20181009_084720.jpg
    IMG_20181009_084720.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20181009_084736.jpg
    IMG_20181009_084736.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20181009_084747.jpg
    IMG_20181009_084747.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 24

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I fear I am making things worse. Blanking out some limbs.

Problem is that a 2 dimensional picture doesn't look at all like the branch distribution in the real tree.

Attachments

• try2.jpg
    try2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 16
  • try3.jpg
    try3.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 13
  • try4.jpg
    try4.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 12

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was gonna say, I think that you should choose between the two lowest branches you have. Lose one and keep the other. Which it seems like you’ve got the right idea forming with some of those edits. Always best to start with the lowest branches and work you way up from there, I think the decision you make about which lowest branch to keep will help inform the rest of your decisions with the other branches. But yea always hard to get a real feel for it until you actually chop a branch off. Hopefully a good feeling ?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Okay, I got out my branch cutter. :eek:

It's still "tiered" but I think less and the trunk is more obvious.
The branches are too old to bend easily and I am sure would break if I tried.

I'll wait for some new growth to tell me something.

I'm not happy with that one lower branch spreading out like Poseidon's trident, but trying to figure out which will go. Also very old and stiff large wood.
I'm tending toward cutting out the middle one as it has the least ramification but think I'll try wiring each or one of the other arms before deciding.
Just to play it safe/r. ;)

Anyhow..... thanks for suggestions. Keep em coming if you get some ideas.

:)IMG_20181010_090719.jpgIMG_20181010_090603.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Gentlemen, I'm afraid you're hijacking...
So, may I humbly suggest that you @Mike Corazzi start a new thread for your olive progression and ask the mod to move these posts there? I'm one of those who would like to comment :)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mea culpa. I guess I ...did... "hijack" the thread. Via my admiration for the first pix and my desire to get TO that level of appearance of an olive.

I did get some very helpful suggestions and advice.
Which I acted on and am very grateful for getting the inspiration to try a different approach.

BUT...

Mods... PLEASE move my posts.
ALL of them. Each one that is considered an element of HIJACKING.

I really hate hate hate to violate accepted protocol in this forum. It was my misunderstanding.

I abjectly apologize for my faux pas.

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN !!!

And.... in the future, I ask that the dissatisfied inform you IMMEDIATELY when a thread is turning in a direction that upsets them.

................fzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mea culpa. I guess I ...did... "hijack" the thread. Via my admiration for the first pix and my desire to get TO that level of appearance of an olive.

I did get some very helpful suggestions and advice.
Which I acted on and am very grateful for getting the inspiration to try a different approach.

BUT...

Mods... PLEASE move my posts.
ALL of them. Each one that is considered an element of HIJACKING.

I really hate hate hate to violate accepted protocol in this forum. It was my misunderstanding.

I abjectly apologize for my faux pas.

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN !!!

And.... in the future, I ask that the dissatisfied inform you IMMEDIATELY when a thread is turning in a direction that upsets them.

................fzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hahahahaha, oh shit we’ve been caught. THREAD DESTROYED, by our carelessness. ???

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No laffin matter Mr. H. At least not to me.
I seem to find a way to fuck up threads and posts no matter what I do. :(

I attend a weekly bonsai "working" ;) group every Wednesday and seem to merge OK with that convivial group with no problems.
Here....different story.
I know the errors I've made in the past and here pops a new one.
I'm a hijacker now.

I think I'll make a whole LOT of people and maybe even me a whole lot happier if I just can manage to stay away and READ ONLY.

:cool:

Top Bottom