Olive air layer results: potted up, looks good so far...next step...

tinajasaltas

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello! I am relatively new to the hobby about 2 years. I have a few 40 year-old olive trees that I decided to try to air layer. First I tried using a bag with sphagnum moss but our climate (Phoenix, Az) was too dry so I tried using pots filled with bonsai soil. I found a branch in the olive tree’s canopy with an old break from weather damage as a having potential, see image on how I layered the branch.

OliveAirLayerProblem1.jpg

OliveAirLayerProblem2.jpg

I started the layer in June and left it until October when I cut it down with a chain saw. As you can see in the diagram there is a lot of butt left below the layer causing the tree to sit crooked in the training pot. I was too scared to cut closer to the rooted air layer with a chain saw as the vibrations probably would have destroyed the new roots. I potted this up a couple months ago and it looks to be doing very well.

If anyone with the knowledge is willing I am looking for suggestions on how to cut off the remaining butt closer to the desired root line with out killing all the roots. Open to all comment or critiques, Thanks!

OliveAirLayerResults2.jpg

OliveAirLayerResults1.jpg

OliveAirLayerResults4.jpg

OliveAirLayerResults5.jpg

Attachments

• OliveAirLayerProblem1.jpg
    OliveAirLayerProblem1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 9
  • OliveAirLayerProblem2.jpg
    OliveAirLayerProblem2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 9

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly right now I would leave it alone. I feel you have done plenty with it and to remove it from the box and cut it again would probably be too much stress on the tree right now. Let it grow through next summer and then use a hand saw and remove what has not rotted off already. You could have done this before planting it, but now its starting to set new root growth and it would not be prudent to disturb it again too soon.

ed

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Honestly right now I would leave it alone. I feel you have done plenty with it and to remove it from the box and cut it again would probably be too much stress on the tree right now. Let it grow through next summer and then use a hand saw and remove what has not rotted off already. You could have done this before planting it, but now its starting to set new root growth and it would not be prudent to disturb it again too soon.

ed

I second this good advice from ed. Just let it get established and gain vigor before removing the stump. It isn't hurting anything as it sits now.

Top Bottom