Olive bonsai 5

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for checking back, u did actually notify me to check on wiring on this tree.
I took a double approach with this olive, mainly as suggested by @Cristian D. To fuse a few suckers to the main trunk. Which i managed to do with i believe good contact (yet not really happy with the shape of those as they're a bit too straight but will add more after these fuse tonget more zigzag) once these fuse and thicken and trunk looks a bit thicker might shorten and shape the top.
At same time I wired a few suckered to grow as trees in a forest so if trunk doesn't look nice in the end I'll chop it all of or reduce height to use main trunk as main tree in a forest or clump. So far not as slow as I expected in the small pot its in but yet can't wait to see how it'll go.
Its already in bosai soil and this season will fertilise aggressively to speed up growth.
Tree is showing good growth yet leave size has gone a lot bigger from last year fertiliser. Guess I will deal with leaf size later on. View attachment 365580View attachment 365581View attachment 365582

Thanks for sharing. You've tried two different approaches than the usual "chop it low" strategy. I'm curious to see how the shoots fusing with the main trunk works out. Did you shave some bark like you would during an approach graft?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. You've tried two different approaches than the usual "chop it low" strategy. I'm curious to see how the shoots fusing with the main trunk works out. Did you shave some bark like you would during an approach graft?
Didnt shave bark yet as I wanted to have the shoots get fixed close to the trunk and thicken a bit so they push a bit against trunk. I can then shave bark with a better contact and more chance of fusion I feel. Believe branches are fix in position now so will remove supporting wired as its biting, shave bark and then rescure.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Shaved up barknon the suckers I'm trying to get to fuse with trunknand also a bit on the trunk to hopefully get them to fuse as they heal. Attached with electrical tape.
I also reduced number of suckers at bade and wired a few to start a clump style olive at the base just in case suckers don't fuse to trunk to thicken. Reduced branches on trunk to hopefully get new branches to emerge from the trunk Screenshot_20210816-075448_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210816-075524_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom