Olive bonsai growing conditions

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am interested in buying the little olive tree but I am not sure that I have good conditions for growing it.
I am living in 6a zone in Ukraine. I am planning to keep it outdoor during the warm season and indoors during the cold season (autumn/winter).
I haven't any lamps to help the tree for getting of more light on dark days.

Is it possible to grow this type of tree in my conditions?
Thank's for all recommendations and information.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not keep it indoors in winter. It will result in weak, etoilated growth.

Do you have the option to put it in a frost-free shed, garage that is near-freezing?

My winters are less extreme; Mine come into the shed when it gets cold, and I have a frost-protection heater cable for the roots (Which is what is sensitive to frost).

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not keep it indoors in winter. It will result in weak, etoilated growth.

Do you have the option to put it in a frost-free shed, garage that is near-freezing?

My winters are less extreme; Mine come into the shed when it gets cold, and I have a frost-protection heater cable for the roots (Which is what is sensitive to frost).
Unfortunately, I am living in a flat with an open lodge. That's why I haven't the possibility to keep this tree in some frost-protected place like you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I bring my olive indoors. It does limp through winter and drops leaves, but does relatively ok. Im in a similar zone, and don’t think it would make it in a cold frame.
I keep it in a room with bright, yet indirect light.

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bring my olive indoors. It does limp through winter and drops leaves, but does relatively ok. Im in a similar zone, and don’t think it would make it in a cold frame.
I keep it in a room with bright, yet indirect light.
Do you keep the tree indoors all year?
Do you use any special lamps to give it more light in winter?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I bring it in when temps drop below 40 f. In tje evening. If days are still warm l take it out for the day.
It is about 4 mo with nights indoors, other than that full sun outside

I don’t know much about grow lights, so l don’t use them. Sometimes I’ll put it by a window, but l don’t have it in direct light much.

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bring it in when temps drop below 40 f. In tje evening. If days are still warm l take it out for the day.
It is about 4 mo with nights indoors, other than that full sun outside

I don’t know much about grow lights, so l don’t use them. Sometimes I’ll put it by a window, but l don’t have it in direct light much.
Can you share the photo of your olive tree? It will be interesting to see it :)

Top Bottom