Olive cuttings experiment

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I recently got a bunch of small leafed olive cuttings, some were pretty thick, some with good movement, but overall I want to see how they develop in the a year and wanted to share this with you guys and gals.
I used a cactus mix medium, covered them in plastic and are in a shady spot until they take and start showing growth. After that, I will uncover them and put them into the sun. First time doing this, hope it all works out.
Planted 4/13/19
IMG_3093.JPG
IMG_3095.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no experience growing olives from cuttings but.. Why in the shade? I would have thought they would need full sun for rooting?

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd go full sun and a black bag for the first few weeks...

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Housguy,
Your set up should be perfect for cutting. I used to do a big olive cuttings with trunk base diameter about 45 cm and they all rooted out.
Shade or sun exposure before the cuttings survive depends on where we are living. I am living in hot and dry area, I won’t place the new cutting under the sun because I know the heat building up in the “ small green house “ will high enough to kill any young leaves when they just come out without root support!
Thụ Thoại

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have no experience growing olives from cuttings but.. Why in the shade? I would have thought they would need full sun for rooting?
It will get to hot. We will see, I was told to put them in the shade in the beginning.

Thanks bonhe, will get some more detailed pics next weekend.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
First update on olive cuttings is looking good, fourteen have sprouted and they are all the big fat cuttings :D. Continuing to cover them and hoping to see some more sprout out for now, but I like where is it going after six and half months.
IMG_3890.JPG IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3891.JPG IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Up to 23 cuttings with growth showing now :).
IMG_4133.JPG IMG_4134.JPG IMG_4129.JPG IMG_4131.JPG IMG_4132.JPG
8 months under plastic and new ones still sprouting.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
After a year, the olive cuttings look great and I learned that keeping the bag over the container to maintain the green house affect for the entire year was good for sprouting many of the cuttings and their at a level now where I can transplant them into individual pots. Bags are off now and continuing to grow strong in the partial shade area I have them in. I should move them to a sunny area now? Going to keep them growing inside these containers for a little while longer to get them even stronger before I disturb the root systems. Is the tile technique for creating nebari a good technique for olives?

A year ago
1586700969403.png
1586701041929.png

Present Day (4/12/20)
IMG_4730 (1).JPG
IMG_4731 (1).JPG
IMG_4733 (1).JPG
IMG_4734 (1) - Copy.JPG
IMG_4732 (1).JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would move to a sunnier spot. A bit more sun should make them stronger and healthier.
We also transplant and repot olives later in spring when they are active.
Tiles are probably not effective with olives. When you already have a lateral root system they don't tend to grow deeper roots. Just cut off any deeper roots at each repot to encourage the tree to rely more on the shallow laterals.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Tiles are probably not effective with olives. When you already have a lateral root system they don't tend to grow deeper roots. Just cut off any deeper roots at each repot to encourage the tree to rely more on the shallow laterals.
Good to Know! Thanks Shibui

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Update
Looking good after a year and eight months, happy with them and had a lot of nice roots.
IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0167.jpg
Found a resident of the pot and his worm tracks, cool
IMG_0167 (1).jpg
Went for the transplant into individual nursery cans, need to let them settle in for a little bit before I touch them again. Got 16 trees in total 😁
IMG_0169.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg

Top Bottom