Olive experiment

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Today I am very excited to have received rooted cuttings, 5 of them.
I have planted them in different substrate to follow how they grow under the same conditions
- APL
- pumice
- the bonsai supply soil (bigger pot)
- the bonsai supply soil + pumice (30 to 40%)
- perlite and turface, turface topping

Let’s see how they all perform under the same conditions

Attachments

• C0806AD2-8C19-4D8D-8D37-E4EF69BFE62B.jpeg
    C0806AD2-8C19-4D8D-8D37-E4EF69BFE62B.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 30

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Sick experiment! Let us know your results. Would love to have a nice olive ❤

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
So the boys are all in a shaded area. Since they just got re potted, I wanted to know your recommendations on watering (daily? even is soil not dried?) and when to start fertilizing
I have removed all soil from the roots, but no other root work done

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have some experiment advice. Whatever you do, do everything the same (sun, fertilizer, etc) for all of them EXCEPT in regards to the soil (watering). Even though you water specifically for that type of soil, everything else remains the same. That way you really get a better understanding of which soil works best. Knowing that everything else is the same helps the experiment maintain it's specific meaning.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You bring up an excellent point. I shouldn’t over water or under water to keep the test consistent, the test isn’t about which tree does best with a set amount of water, it is about which soil helps the tree the best

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your sample size is too small to make any kind of scientific judgements on which soil is best. Too many things can go wrong with any particular tree to skew the results. A bird might land in one of them and uproot it, and do hidden damage that has nothing to do with the soil.

Maybe if you had 10 in each type of soil...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You are totally right, their root system was not equal, some have more leaves... so many things differ

To be honest, I used the rest of my “allowance” on these, I wish I could have bought more

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I will join Adair in shitting on your experiment. Olives do not give a fuck as long as it drains and is slightly acidic.

I think the most exciting part of your experiment is trying olive saplings at your latitude. That'll be interesting! Give 'em as much sun as you can.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
That’s all very constructive
My last olive I lost to frost, wasn’t a bad one but that got him. Lesson learned

Seems we have to leave them in the shade for 1-2 weeks, and since I repotted, at what point would you start fertilizing?
temps currently are 65-85F

Top Bottom