Olive plan forward

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got this olive few months back for its base and trunk, top was definitely to be redone
Screenshot_20210829-181904_Gallery.jpg
Repoted out of nursery soil today, first time soil wasn't muddy and stuck to the roots.
These are the 4 sides, I'm wondering between current front which I kept after repot as it gives a nice base, and left or right side which show nicer motion in trunk but not as wide base
Front
Screenshot_20210829-181925_Gallery.jpg
Right
Screenshot_20210829-181944_Gallery.jpg
Back
Screenshot_20210829-183145_Gallery.jpg
Left
Screenshot_20210829-182209_Gallery.jpg

Roots after cleaning
Screenshot_20210829-182248_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210829-182311_Gallery.jpg

One major concern is the tree bifurcated twice with 3 branches at 2 levels from the trunk. I'm sure this will cause taper issues but not able.to decide which branches to take out or if there is a better approach.
Screenshot_20210829-184748_Gallery.jpg
I reduced the branches a bit heavy to hopefully get anterior branches and be able to reduce the tree. Any advise on what to do further ?
Screenshot_20210829-184512_Gallery.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice olive tree and nice pictures. I always go looking for olive trees and come back with stumps.

As you noted, olives swell a lot when you have more than two branches at a union, two places which could impact your design:
*** bottom two branches are perpendicular, which suggests one needs to go over time
*** the union directly above here has three, should be reduced to two over time

With the Olive in a pot, you wont get much trunk thickening - which should influence the overall height of the tree. Sounds like you're reducing branch length overtime, which is great.

There are a few other spots on the tree where you have 3-4 branch unions further out on branches. Those should be easy choices now since your focus should be on main trunk line.

I like your third trunk pic the best, fifth picture would be my second.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.
Not really after a thick trunk as I have a few more thicker trunks I'm working on and would be happy with this one with a lower canopy yet no leaves on the inner part of the branches so got to get some back buds. I reduced morlst of the threes to two except the major two junctions you mentioned. Do you think I should do that now or let tree recover from potting and do it next spring ? The angle ls you mentioned are indeed best looking yet one has all branches facing backward and the other loses the wide part of the base yet shows best movement.. would u just shop down to no leaves and redo the whole top?
What would the order of interest be ?
Base
Trun movement
Branches (as best trunk movement has all branches going to the back )
Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Order of interest certainly base, then trunk, then branches.

Olives are pretty resilient, but I avoid hard cuts on newly repotted material.

Do the easy trimming and hopefully you'll get some new buds in places that change your mind next spring.

Top Bottom