Olive progression

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Git this twin trunk olive since around couple years. Moved to bonsai soil a year back (no space for larger pots and not targeting thickening trunk necessarily so don't mind slower growth)
Heres how it looked on 23 aug 2021
Screenshot_20211106-110629_Chrome.jpg
Post pruning and wiring. Couldn't add more movement as branches split very easy weirdly
Screenshot_20211106-110713_Chrome.jpg

6 November 2021
Tree has responded well to initial pruning and has a few bifurcations to work with from existing branches
Screenshot_20211106-110911_Gallery.jpg

Wired again for a bit.more movement and to position branches
Screenshot_20211106-110935_Gallery.jpg

At this stage I see good growth even in small pot with wore biting in after 10 weeks. And branch elongation is rather fast.
My main point at this stage is the lack of branches with all branches emerging from 2 branches at same spot on the right and on the left main trunks. Didnt get any backbudding on the main trunk after initial pruning even though I'm fertilizing.

How about initial structure is it ok as is or do u recommend a different t shape to the branches ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'd be happy with what you have so far. It does look sparse at the moment but all those branches will gradually ramify and fill in the spaces. Olives are reasonably slow to grow and ramify but one day you will look back and wonder why you were worried about this one.

Shoots from the trunk are still possible. Not sure why you did not get them after the initial prune but I am forever rubbing unwanted shoots off the trunk on all my olives. It is possible that some varieties are more or less prone to trunk buds but I still think they will come when the tree is happy in the pot and location.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks
I am getting shoots from the trunk but from very low, just at ground levels, hoping this prune will induce a couple shoots mid trunk and at both sides.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am getting shoots from the trunk but from very low, just at ground levels, hoping this prune will induce a couple shoots mid trunk and at both sides.
Sounds very much like olives here. I get many suckers from the base of trunk and just below ground but occasionally one or more will also sprout from higher on the trunk so just give it some time.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
An update on this tree from last pics in Nov 2021. Tree was unwired abd wired 2 times so far and each time ended with few scars as u can see in pics on few locations where I hope tree will grow and hide the scars. I just unwired it and pruned again today.
Although in a small pot tree seems to be growing fast and brancges thickening fast as well. I placed the initial branches in position i wanted , and let the branches run twice so far till 12 plus leaves and reduced to 2-4 leaves to get bifurcations, which worked a bit.
I unfortunately still need more branches from other areas on trunk as all growth is from two branches on each of the main trunks. I got a new branch at same location marked by red arrow, should I remove to avoid further swelling or leave it to grow for now. How about the pruning any recommendations ?
I'm continuing fertilizing heavy and pruning every 2-3 months. Any other thing you recommend ?Screenshot_20220611-090013_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220611-090024_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220611-090103_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom