Olive stump

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well this monster is still here and .. large..

DSC_0246 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Theres a trunk in there somewhere...

mMdyvG1l.jpg

When active growth begins, ill do as mentioned above in this forum, BIG CUT BACK, finally. Wire new growth, get some bonsai going on with this tree.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, this guy was finally pruned and I'm happy with the results. Be warned, a few of these primaries are still too long and straight, I know this. I explain below.

This is beginning:
DSC_0498 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
This is after:
DSC_0500 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
Closer up:
DSC_0510 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0512 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

There is still a fairly long and straight branch. I have been told by those who should know that the Olive back buds very well and this Olive is very healthy and vigorous, so I have no reason to believe it will not. HOWEVER, this is the first time I have worked on this species in this way so I have left an inch or 2 of unwanted branch, leaving space for plenty of back budding. In a number of weeks, I'll have growth and I can further cut back to a desirable location. This gives me more opportunity for desired growth + safety, more chance for budding in case it doesn't back bud much at all. In hindsight, I should have wired this growth earlier and more of it might have been useful to my final design (or maybe not, as it would still be without taper).

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Give it lots of fertilizer!

I put more organic pellets on the top, after this prune :). I use an organic fert called Green Dream, a UK one.
Also Miracle Grow liquid fert from time to time.

And this is what my thinking was, correcting the long straight portion.
Green new shoots, red cut.

DSC_0500 Virt by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

The left most branch is also a 3 way. Ill see how it back buds in this area and next visit, might remove one. The reason I didnt just remove initially is because I think its good looking. The olive is a pretty ugly looking tree and this is ugly and its wrong and thats why I kept it :)

Last edited:

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This thing is growing very very well and fast. I had put some wire on a few weeks ago but found that was a mistake. I knocked off so many young leaves when I was being so careful, so I think i was too early.
Have removed a few leave in places and 1 or 2 young shoots, and put on more wire. Had to removed 2 bits of wire as it was cutting in already!! Ill probably need to prune in 2-3 weeks, a lot of branches are reaching a good thickness already.
Not much of a difference to see so far.

Before:
DSC_0678 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0681 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

After:
DSC_0682 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr DSC_0683 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0686 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Im quite proud of my wiring in a few places, its clean and done properly, to my best knowledge. Not all are, just few places. Certainly good practice.
DSC_0684 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0689 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0690 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

And then just a ton of springtails... (what I believe to be).
DSC_0691 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
wow what a transformation between these two!!

Lol!! Crap. I got the link wrong.. damn it and now I can’t go back.
Ah well, I’ll repost that one tomorrow and ask BNut very nicely if he can delete my bad post for me.. lol funny.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, although not ideal timing to reduce (according to the internet), I have cut off a number of the sacrifice branches now on this Olive, so it is more manageable. It is about to start growing now, once it does, I can't afford for it to waste energy for a day... very short growing season here in UK but it really moves when it starts.
Afraid the pics dont get very clear, as it has a good number of leaves and they are relatively quite big.

Also, can you spot where I previously accidentally broke the branch and it healed up? Healed up well!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well, although not ideal timing to reduce (according to the internet), ...
I find I can do pretty much anything I want to an olive, pretty much any time I want to. That said, my growing season is a little longer than yours.

Nice work on this one. I have enjoyed watching its progression.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find I can do pretty much anything I want to an olive, pretty much any time I want to. That said, my growing season is a little longer than yours.

Nice work on this one. I have enjoyed watching its progression.

Thanks and yes, I think Italy is a little bit better suited to the Olive, however mine has only ever shown strength, and now been in the pot for 3 years. Debating repotting (although having read online, they should only be repotted when completely necessary, as they do not like it + needs to be done during active growth). I am starting to feel roots near the surface but I think it will be fine another year. Trees can stand to be in same pot for a few decades, as long as their watering needs are met. I wont stress over this.

I think structurally this tree needs to be better.. I am happy with its growing and branches but I think I've made some mistakes. The second to last pic posted, the front branch is rather long and not interesting enough, so debating chopping lower.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This started to wake up for the year, the sacrifice branches were cut but still needs a few more branches removed.

DSC_2102 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2101 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2100 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I'm not overly happy with the design of this tree, the stump isn't very attractive.. its an early buy before I thought about things more. Still, I'll turn it in to something cool, just might need to add a few more years on to it, if I decide to remove large bits.
The left long tall branch, in the last pic, is my biggest problem!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Accidental post.. please delete, anyone..

Top Bottom