Olive stump

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Collected this olive a year ago with some friends from a 100+ year old orchard the owner wanted removed. This piece is about 1/6 of one of the stumps we dug.
Today I put it in a bonsai pot. It's amazing how strong these trees are. I originally flat cut the bottom with my chainsaw and when I transplanted it today the training box was full of roots!
Good thing my youngest son is still living here, The tree and pot + soil weigh about 125 pounds.
olive_11.jpg

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Good thing my youngest son is still living here, The tree and pot + soil weigh about 125 pounds."

I'll say, have him move it around too much and he'll have the arms of a professional body builder.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Paul,

Nice looking Olive. How are those collected junis doing from the 2009 collection trip to Bishop?

Jeff

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Paul,

Nice looking Olive. How are those collected junis doing from the 2009 collection trip to Bishop?

Jeff

They're alive and well. I plan to start on one of them in our study group with Ryan Neil next month.
Paul

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome stump. What a find. I was trying to visualize what you might plan to do with this later, and came up with a virt. Is this close to what you have in mind?

Attachments

• olive_11.jpg
    olive_11.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is fantastic material. You've got endless possibilities as far as deadwood features and overall design. Keep us posted with its future development!

I have heard stories about the resilience of Olives. Apparently, large trees have been ripped out of the ground with backhoes, transplanted to a different area, and they don't miss a beat. Pretty amazing species.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Awesome stump. What a find. I was trying to visualize what you might plan to do with this later, and came up with a virt. Is this close to what you have in mind?

Nice! Thanks, Barry. Twin trunk is an idea I hadn't thought of.
That's what is so great about this forum and belonging to bonsai clubs. You get to take advantage of other people's ideas.
Paul

Top Bottom