Olive Tree beginner

Reaction score
Would an olive tree prove too difficult for a first tree?

Reaction score
Not really. Where in the world are you located? I find olives easy to work with.
I'm currently in North East Ohio, so zone 6a i think..? but I'm originally from a village in Greece where I have olive orchards (Kalamon and Koroneiko) I don't know anything about small trees but i want something in my house to remind me of where I come from

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Ask @JudyB about wintering Ohio Olives.

You can do it.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Olives are really hardy and forgiving trees. That's why they can grow on those dry, stony hills around the Med. They are great beginner trees and many Greek and Italian migrants grow one or 2 to remind them of the links to 'home'
For us with mild winters it is much easier. You will need to find out about what to do over winter but outside for the warm months will be far better than trying for an indoor plant.
Don't be frightened to prune your olive. If your heritage is olive country you probably already know that olive trees are regularly pruned back really hard and just sprout new buds and keep growing.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Olives do pretty well indoors over winter. Give them as much light as you can and get them outside as soon as possible.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Curious.... which or do both of these make for good bonsai?
Kalamon produces large olives for consumption while Koroneiki is the primary variety for olive oil production in southern Greece (very small fruit).

Both have large leaves and are less preferred for bonsai vs wild olives.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Keeping larger olives in containers has become more popular in Europe. There are now plant nurseries that specialize in large collected olives for container and landscape planting.
One of our Ausbonsai members noted lots of olives in tubs, pots and boxes along streets and outside cafes and restaurants while touring recently in the south of France.
I hope someone is watering them while France is on COVID shut down.

Top Bottom